Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread) (Part 1)

Asheville…

from above via drone:

Looks like Biltmore Village was just fucking hammered… :sob:

One more on Asheville…

10 Likes

It takes that much water and electricity to make snow (1:31 to 3:03)

2 Likes

More drone footage, this time from the North ATL suburbs, along the Chattahoochee river…

4 Likes
6 Likes

IMG_6301

8 Likes

wheee!
kirk will avoid us.
florida is a constellation of non-intelligent lifeforms, and according to the Prime Directive, must be left unvisited and untouched.
or, too mix fictional metapors, “attempt no landing there.”

9 Likes

And we think Kirk will actually follow this Prime Directive? :frowning:

Did you guys ever watch the show?

11 Likes

And we think Kirk will actually follow this Prime Directive?

so far it looks like;

but yeah, I too watched the show…

2 Likes

There’s a helpful graphic explaining how this is based on watersheds, but I was imagining something melting out of the glacier that clearly marked that particular patch of land as clearly Swiss or Italian. Say, a pizza or a cow bell

2 Likes

Yeah, it tends to be things like this:

Hopefully, fewer people bring those objects home or ruin them…

Harrison Ford That Belongs In A Museum GIF

5 Likes

What they need is a project like the Secrets of the Ice group here in Norway which go up onto Glaciers known to produce finds and survey them every summer season as well as providing a well-known point of contact for any locals or hikers that find something.

Despite the splashy names what this project actually is, is an archaeological survey group organised and paid for by Indre Fylkeskommune, basically the county administration. As far as I can remember they found several arrows this season, dating from the Neolithic to the Iron Age, as well as their more standard fare of countless reindeer scaring sticks and some hunting blinds.

These are all finds from this year’s field season. Two different Viking Age arrows and a medieval horse shoe (I’m not showing the stone age arrow, because it has lost its tip and fletching, so it looks like a stick to the untrained eye):

6 Likes

This is not new. Privatizing profit while socializing risk has been at the heart of the fascist economic “plan” since at least Reagan. As the current situation intensifies, though, my suspicion is that this will become increasingly untenable. The only question is how much devastation occurs before the reality sets in.

5 Likes

video

6 Likes
11 Likes

Kirk is (will be, is not yet) a major hurricane, but is headed out to sea in the Atlantic.

There is a storm brewing in the Gulf, but it has not really organized yet, and may not at all. That is the one predicted to follow Helene’s course.

7 Likes

Like many Georgians, she was still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, as her niece’s family living less than two hours east in Augusta was probably going to be without water for several weeks

The people of Conyers had already experienced two similar incidents at BioLab – in 2004 and 2020…“It’s my hope lessons are learned this time for other facilities but that this one is never opened again.”

2 Likes
7 Likes

it is one of these there’s that post that goes around every time there’s a disaster like this, where you know, climate collapse is watching a series of horrifying videos on cell phones until one day it’s you holding the phone

12 Likes

That hits home…

7 Likes