Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread) (Part 1)

8 Likes

They’ve had flood zone and crime risk overlays for some time now.

4 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Nuclear warming, huh? I’m going to have to think about that. It’s so stupid I can’t even come up with a good joke about it…

5 Likes

8 Likes

I think Im cynical enough to believe he did it first and foremost for the ratings. would heve done it without the camera running? its foxnews after all.

nuclear warming

wait?!? he said it again?!?

and its 500 years now? de fack?!?

:crazy_face:

8 Likes

was gonna post that. this is so not good;

EMERGENCY ALERT: The Waterville Dam has suffered a catastrophic failure. Evacuation of all of Downtown Newport immediately.

thats a lot of water;

e/

The city of Newport, Tennessee, said the dam failure warning given earlier “was a false alarm.”

In a post on Facebook, officials assured there had not been a catastrophic failure at the Waterville Dam near the Tennessee border. The false alarm came from the Emergency Management Agency, according to the post

hopefully so.

3 Likes

The future is even more frightening when you look at data on dam health in the US.

https://nid.sec.usace.army.mil/#/dams/search/sy=@hazardId:(4)&viewType=map&resultsType=dams&advanced=false&hideList=false&eventSystem=false

6 Likes

And instead of accepting that as inevitable, we should use that information to push us to push our governments to do something about it. The problems with our infrastructure is probably one of our easier problems with deal with, since we know what they need and we have the technology to deal with it.

8 Likes

Cocke County, Newport evacuations ordered after false alarm over ‘catastrophic’ dam failure

3 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes
4 Likes

Yup. I’m from NC–we’re used to the coast getting pummelled by hurricanes, but never in a million years would I have expected a hurricane to devastate the mountains like this. Western NC is full of wonderful towns, natural beauty, and great folks–Asheville especially is a funky, artsy gem of a place. My heart breaks for this region.

Hot Springs, NC

Chimney Rock, NC Redirecting...

A beloved AT hostel in Erwin, TN

10 Likes

Keep your eyes open. There is another system organizing in the gulf forecast to follow pretty close to the same track as Helene. Not supposed to be nearly as strong, but more rain is not what is needed right now.

10 Likes
10 Likes