I Am Cynical Enough... šŸ¤”

New game!

As soon as I heard the news this morning, my very first thought was:

I am cynical enough to believe 45 would totally stage ā€œan attemptā€ in order to increase sympathy and therefore the capacity for endless grift.

:money_mouth_face:

That got me to thinking about how many of us are pretty cynical, in general; Hell, for anyone whoā€™s Gen X, itā€™s damn near a pre-req.

So with the intent keeping it fun and light-ish without trying to bum anyone else out or rain on the parade, what are you cynical enough about?

16 Likes

I am cynical enough to believe that, despite all weā€™ve been through these past few years, that some white dudes who claim to be on the left will still happily let everything burn down around us rather than vote for a woman instead of Trumpā€¦ especially not a Black womanā€¦

21 Likes

Dang.
That was painful.

I think Iā€™m out, for this round.

18 Likes

Heavy but valid.

I am cynical enough to think that maybe the timing on this thread was wrong.

15 Likes

I am cynical enough to believe that, no matter how big of an economic, political or environmental crisis humanity may face, there will always be plenty of people eagerly making money off of it.

And I believe that it is no coincidence that we have seen a dizzying array of crises in our lifetimes one after another, with the obscene concentration of wealth increasing each and every time.

12 Likes

Yep, I am cynical enough to believe that this post is a (well intentioned) mistake.

9 Likes

Its All Good Fbi GIF by CBS

9 Likes

I am cynical enough that if a billionaire offered me something, I would tell them to get out of my sun.

11 Likes

Iā€™m cynical enough on my worst days to believe that nothing really matters anyway because in about 4.5 billion years, the sun is going to swallow the Earth and nothing we did here will matter or ever be remembered by the rest of the universe.

11 Likes

Pale Blue Dot.

I am cynical enough to ask to have this thread closed if it becomes too much of a bummer.

11 Likes

I did say on my worst days. Lately, I havenā€™t been anywhere near that cynical. Iā€™m actually pretty hopeful right now.

11 Likes

10 Likes

Yeah, honestly, me threeā€¦ I think the group Iā€™m cynical about is smaller than it was in 2016, and lots of us are highly motivated to end the MAGA movement for good.

11 Likes

ā€¦ Iā€™m cynical enough to believe weā€™re all just Boltzmann brains floating in the void

fry

9 Likes

Maybeā€¦ but maybe with time TPTB will shunt our grief and terror here when the inevitable moment of weakness comes upon each of us from time to time in the inevitably dark and terrifying days to come between now and Feb 2025 or so?

I am cynical enough to think we will need it.

9 Likes

Iā€™m actually not all that cynical.
My 88 y/o dad accuses me of cynicism when I disagree with something that the Daily Fail proclaims as the UnvarnishedTruthTM.
Itā€™s not cynicism, I would point out, itā€™s skepticism, which I am profoundly guilty of.

Cynicism is starting a war with Argentina when your polls are dropping.

Itā€™s probably just me.

ETA: Donā€™t kill the thread, @Melizmatic , itā€™s gotta lotta promiseā€¦

12 Likes

Iā€™m cynical enough to believe 45 would take some random event and pretend it was an assassination attempt, even if it posed no threat to him whatsoever. Oh wait, he already did that with the FBI search. Apparently Iā€™m confusing ā€œextrapolating future behavior directly from past actionsā€ with ā€œcynicism.ā€

Is it cynical if itā€™s demonstrably true? I think we have enough examples of self-proclaimed lefties voting for Trump in 2016 to know this is the case. (I suppose one could argue that Trump is a more obvious threat now than in 2016, but shit, he was a pretty obvious threat then, too.)

Thatā€™s not cynicism, thatā€™s literally just the history of the oil industry (among others). Hell, thatā€™s not cynical enough - the oil companies realized they were going to destroy the planet, strategized as to how to make the most money in the process, and then gaslit the world by waging a campaign to discredit climate science as a whole.

5 Likes

Iā€™m cynical enough to believe, there will be a dreary day when the very last barrel of oil in the whole wide world will be on display in a museum, and some enterprising thieves will eventually steal it and burn it for profit.

5 Likes
8 Likes

Given the glacial rate of the kinds of progress I like to see, Iā€™m cynical enough to wonder sometimes if Iā€™m cynical enough.

8 Likes