Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

yeah, well try convincing McConnell or Manchin of that.
(oh, they already know)

10 Likes
6 Likes

NBE-finland

8 Likes

Total :new_zealand: North Island / Auckland area rainfall is currently around 500mm for both rainfall events so far, and another 50mm is in the forecast. So far, 168 homes have a “red sticker” (unsafe for any entry) and another ~650 buildings “yellow sticker” (allowed quick visits to fetch valuables).

Terrain there tends to be layers of volcanic deposits and soil. If you’re on, or beneath lava flows then you tend to be OK, but otherwise the ground can be slippy (a lot like :jp:, IIRC).

5 Likes
7 Likes

Ugh, I can’t like this. Not only the killing but the broad strokes of fossil fuel companies influence over laws, law enforcement, politicians and the very verbiage of the conversation around activism.

7 Likes

I keep seeing tags that say “systems change not climate change” around these days…

6 Likes
5 Likes

Frank Luntz: the man who came up with ‘climate change’ — and regrets it

For three decades he made conservative ideas popular. He got a lot wrong, he tells Jane Mulkerrins

3 Likes

It’s february and Gulf of Finland looks like this:

7 Likes

I’ve lost count of the number of articles about Republicans that express regret for the harm they’ve caused. The theme of trying to fix what they broke while continuing to work with fascists and their enablers really undermines the sympathetic tone being shoveled. It’s another version of the self-serving non-pology, and just as lacking in real atonement. As for the inevitable focus on their personal misfortunes, I’m cheering for karma to work harder (and faster). :imp:

13 Likes

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

8 Likes

giphy

9 Likes

What I got from that article is:

1. Luntz is one of the garbage humans who have worked hard to make our world a worse place, and even now thinks he just took that a little too far,
  2. A name to associate with the fact that “climate change” genuinely was meant as an anodyne substitute to hide the harm implied by “global warming” rather than some kind of clarification.

It’s a shame the author couldn’t bring herself to figure that out, like you said. Like, oh, politics in the US has gotten so polarized…why the hell do they think that is? :angry:

12 Likes

… media figures act like they can fix the “polarization” problem by exhorting individual viewers and readers to be less polarized :confused:

8 Likes

I dunno. I see a lot of exhorting liberals to be less polarized :rage: like we gotta meet the fascists on their side

10 Likes

… and certainly no acknowledgment that the media themselves have created the problem

9 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

Driving through my neighborhood after the ice storm. Austin, TX 2023-02-02

14 Likes