Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

7 Likes
2 Likes

New research published in the journal Nature Communications finds that the Atlantic coast—home to more than a third of the US population—is dropping by several millimeters per year. In Charleston, South Carolina, and the Chesapeake Bay, it’s up to 5 millimeters (a fifth of an inch). In some areas of Delaware, it’s as much as twice that.

So they’re saying we don’t have to worry about it this year? Cool! (/s)

3 Likes

If you’re a billionaire and reading this, you have only a short window left to make sure that the sump pump in your :new_zealand: bunker is working…

Even if you checked recently, this week’s mag 5.9 earthquakes might have cracked something.

5 Likes
5 Likes

38.8 degrees Celsius = 101.84 degrees Fahrenheit

4 Likes

Ummm, no climatologist me, but this seems concerning…

10 Likes
1 Like

“ Private jets emit at least 10 times more pollutants than commercial planes per passenger. Unsurprisingly, approximately 1 percent of people are believed to be responsible for about half of all aviation carbon emissions.”

IMG_8340

It’ll save on the emissions.

1 Like

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/murdoch-media-empire-lying-australia-173900525.html

(Quartz reprint)

Last month saw Fox News, the US cable channel controlled by Rupert Murdoch, pay out $787.5 million to settle a defamation lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems, over the network’s airing of voting fraud claims made around the 2020 US election by Donald Trump and his associates. Last week, Fox fired its most popular host, Tucker Carlson, who had voiced some of those claims. Now, a ruling by Australia’s media regulator has found another part of the Murdoch empire guilty of lying, this time by misleading Australians about climate change and covid-19 vaccines.

The latest case focuses on a “factual” program aired on Sky News Australia and some other networks, called Outsiders, which deals with climate change and sometimes seeks to debunk mainstream climate science. On April 26, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) found that in four cases, episodes of the show aired in late 2021 presented misleading information as if it were factually true.

3 Likes
3 Likes

More on agrivoltaics.

A key take-away fro me came from the following paper, which lists corn, wheat and potatoes as crops that can actually be more productive under agrivoltaic systems.

7 Likes

It’s more of the storm forecast from last week.

An atmospheric river is fueling intense downpours on northern and western regions, which might result in more than double a month’s amount of rain.

4 Likes
6 Likes

:disappointed:

6 Likes

In the meanwhile when the price of meat is skyrocketing

6 Likes

Don’t know about that, but over here in the UK, a loaf of bread that cost £1.00 a year ago now costs £2.20.

And don’t get me started on kitchen towel - £2.50 for a single roll? The supermarkets have stopped selling them in packs of two - perhaps they do* feel shame?

• it’s extremely unlikely. :rage:
5 Likes

Re: Beyond Burger

My single experience with Beyond Burger or Impossible meat is that the “smoky” flavoring is quite potent. Not that it’s too strong, but that it infiltrates everything you’d wish to cook with it. Think “smoky” Bolognese sauce on your spaghetti, or “smoky”-flavored meatloaf. :man_shrugging:

This is the primary reason I don’t buy it.

3 Likes

mike

1 Like

and the new el-nino-cycle hasnt even started yet. interesting times indeed.

3 Likes