Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

2 Likes

This is a good basic summary of the oil & gas industry and how it insinuates itself onto individual homes and properties. Kind of an EILI5, but it’s useful if you’d like to understand how the system works.

5 Likes
1 Like

The national government has suspended taxes on imported bottle water, and the city of Montevideo is subsidizing purchases for vulnerable residents.

As for buying bottled water, I wonder what the price failure is – citizen’s paycheck potential, or greedflation? In parts of Mexico, bottled water is common and relatively cheap, only $1 for drinking water in 20 liter jugs from the water truck or the local mom & pop store.

The president says there is a water treatment plant in the works. Are there no water treatment plants at all?

2 Likes

… Brawndo from the tap, like in the Torment Nexus

4 Likes

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/scienceandhealth/2023/05/almost-800-entities-criticize-the-dismantling-of-the-environmental-policy-in-brazilian-congress.shtml

1 Like
4 Likes

A treaty was signed between the two countries in 1973 involving an agreement that Afghanistan had to give Iran a certain amount of water from the river which flows from Afghanistan.

Reports claim, however, that Afghanistan has been violating the treaty with The National reporting that Iran has only been receiving four percent of the water owed. The lack of water is particularly significant to Iran as it faces a long drought - an issue that Afghanistan faces too.

3 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes
4 Likes

7 Likes

June in Finnish is called kesäkuu literally summer moon/month.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Mr. Bean says FU to EVs.

https://archive.md/dwcoV

mr bean car GIF by Matt

7 Likes

This pretty much sums up my current postion. I drive a Honda CRV that gets 30 mpg, and plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. At that point, hopefully several years away, i will see where we are with electric cars and make a decision. IMHO, we are currently at a transition point, and i am not sure which path will win out. Eventually, there will be a standard, with sufficient, universal infrastructure. Getting there may be painful, but we will get there. And, Mr. Bean is an academic? Who knew!

7 Likes

mr bean GIF

4 Likes

AFAIK you can’t be in the Cambridge Footlights if you aren’t an academic.

During the 1980s, Footlights reinforced its position as the heart of British comedy. The 1981 revue, featuring Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Rowan Atkinson, Tony Slattery, Penny Dwyer and Paul Shearer, won the inaugural Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe and spawned Fry and Laurie.

8 Likes