Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

3 Likes

I don’t see why they can’t follow the example of other cities around the world that have dealt with lack of snow by creating different attractions for tourists, like riding carts down chutes or downhill inline skating. :man_shrugging:

I’ve seen inventions like skis with wheels, too. However, based on feedback from friends who ski, it’s not even close. People who enjoy bundling up to spend time outdoors in the snow won’t be able to enjoy warmer temperatures in the same way. The seasons are changing, as well as the snow*. Even someone like me, who enjoys drinking hot beverages in the lodge on a cold day, won’t have the same experience when it’s only 40-50°F (4.5-10°C) outside.

The only upside to this kind of story is it might make an impression on wealthy deniers. I’ve met more than a few expats in Europe who handwave news about increases in fires, floods, and other climate disasters. However, when it affects their food and drinks :wine_glass: or annual vacation plans, they can’t ignore it anymore.

*according to my friends, who surprised me once with an intense discussion about where the snow is better, while I was thinking the answer is “on the other side of the window.”

6 Likes

They have the downhill sleds already, but those were only ever a summer stop-gap. Basically covering the costs of the maintenance crew keep the lift equipment working through the off-season

5 Likes
6 Likes

fucking finally;

nevertheless, this aint el nino; take any other year and there was never such a jump ever.

5 Likes

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2306987120

BBC News - Rishi Sunak considering weakening key net zero policies

4 Likes

35 meters/sec, that’s 121km/hr (75mph)! that’s the force of a cat 1 hurricane! yikes!

7 Likes

I’ve often wondered if climate change had a lot to do with human migration out of Africa.

“Damn it’s fucking hot! I’m out of here!”

5 Likes

( it is spring now in the southern hemisphere )

5 Likes
2 Likes

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes