Florida Governor signs new bill that forces all public schools K-12 to hold silence "to be able to pray"

How does one go about buying fart machines in bulk?

11 Likes

Can kids not pray before school if their parents want them to pray in the morning?

7 Likes

39 Likes

iFQBkgN

4 Likes

Yeah, I certainly don’t trust the people who passed this law one little bit. But if they intended to bring prayer into school, and, in the act of making it constitutional, ended up bringing in nothing but an unguided minute of silence… I don’t know, that’s fine?

6 Likes

Oh, did they do research on the optimal amount of time needed to make prayers effective without taking too much time from the school day?

2 Likes

That result would be fine if that were all there was to it. But this effort is part of a larger, longterm Christian-right effort to get prayer and religion back in public schools – after all, the spell of silence is mandatory.

I also have no doubt that those who practice that 1-2 minutes differently will sometimes be singled out for their heathen ways. And that thanks to such laws, other ways of promoting Christianity in school will gradually be snuck under the door (all while such things as honest history and discussions of race that make white students feel bad get banned).

20 Likes

Remember this is in addition to the Pledge of Allegiance, which does not count as a prayer :wink:

12 Likes

Florida governor is running hard for president, isn’t he. Just a string of radical right-wing bullshit bills he’s signing.

11 Likes

Step 1: A minute of silence.
Step 2: Ask the kids what they did during that minute.
Step 3: Send in the “minute of silence helpers” – you know, just to guide the kids who are doing it “wrong.”

(Step 4: Profit)

7 Likes

DeSantis also makes it clear that this is all about bringing the Invisible Bearded Sky Man™ into public schools.

6 Likes

You know despite the pandering in the governors statement, learning the lesson that in a plural society Who to and how you pray is a private matter would be a good thing. If kids learn that they can STFU and pray to their God (or not) without disturbing others around them I would regard that as a civic lesson worth 1 minute of time.

1 Like

Forcing my child to pray in silence is violating her 1st amendment rights to free speech. I mean yeah, the other kids may get a little skeeved at the speaking in the tongue of the ancient gods, but religious freedom right? And I assume the good governor has no problem with an altar and blood sacrifices?

8 Likes

Great, another thing for crazy right wingers among the teaching staff to judge you on. My prayer would be a hymn called “Harper Valley PTA.”

8 Likes

Remember–
These are the people who are fine with controlling you during legally mandated “silence periods”,
but if you tell them to cover their face in middle of epidemic: back off / stop trying to control them.

7 Likes

Speaking of empty school-time rituals, I don’t know why we repeat the Pledge of Allegiance every day in schools. It’s not like it goes, “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America for one day only.” If you make the pledge, and you mean it, there’s no reason to repeat it. Since it’s been definitively laid out by the SCOTUS that you can’t force public school kids to say it, the Pledge is now nap time in every grade above 5th. The only person saying it is on the PA system.

3 Likes

Can confirm.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Saying that it has to be silent is a violation of the first amendment. If my child doesn’t -say- “fhtagn” mighty Cthulhu doesn’t -hear- “fhtagn”!

9 Likes

Since it’s been definitively laid out by the SCOTUS that you can’t force public school kids to say it, the Pledge is now nap time in every grade above 5th.

This will probably change with the new nutjob court. Saying The Pledge (to the flag, mind you, not the country or the constitution or democracy or the government or anything) is being an American™.

4 Likes