Florida Governor signs new bill that forces all public schools K-12 to hold silence "to be able to pray"

Originally published at: Florida Governor signs new bill that forces all public schools K-12 to hold silence "to be able to pray" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m sure I could make many silent Satanic hand gestures in a minute.

32 Likes

57 Likes

Why does anyone need to pray in school?

Praying ain’t gonna help you pass the pop quiz if you haven’t studied, kiddo.

I assume if you’re a devout religious type, you pray when you wake up, and over your breakfast-lunch-and-dinner, and when you go to bed at night. Oh yeah, that extra minute at the start of home room class is going to make all the difference.

20 Likes

i believe some groups will need multiple opportunities to pray. let me guess, the sponsors of this new law won’t be supportive of that, right?

why not? be honest. honestly, be honest.

32 Likes

There will be prayer in school as long as there are tests.

12 Likes

Matthew 6:5-15

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

57 Likes

“Ms. Hoover, I need to pray, which way is Mecca?”

ralfy

47 Likes

De Santis said. “The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I’m sorry our founding fathers did not believe that.”

“Pay no attention to the Establishment Clause!”, he added.

41 Likes

The very first of all the enumerated rights!

These disingenuous, lying, seditious motherfuckers make me very glad it’s right around 4:20 right now…

23 Likes

That is my favorite Bible verse.

10 Likes

No God, no DeSantis, know peace.

13 Likes

“The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I’m sorry our founding fathers did not believe that.”

Neither did the ancient Egyptians. So now we should get a minute of silence to commune with Ra.

13 Likes

I’m sorry our founding fathers did not believe that.

The founding fathers did believe in separation of church and state. But some of them also believed in slavery.

Maybe 21st century government shouldn’t rely on the limits of the imagination of 18th century politicians?

28 Likes

It would take someone that much time just to get out and roll back up their prayer mat!

4 Likes

Is it OK to practice yoga during those minutes?

18 Likes

A period of “silent prayer or meditation” was optional for school districts in the state prior to the new law.

Meditation is a no go in Alabama still… leads to Buddhism or something.

As I recall, I never needed a moment of silence to pray. You can literally do it anytime you want.

7 Likes

Funny how when it’s not the Christian God, “pushing it out” is not a problem at all for them. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

For $10 I could easily dye this foldable drone landing pad black and paint on a red or white pentagram… add a couple tea candles and maybe a little incense, and I sense a lawsuit that will pay for at least 4 years of college :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

A moment of silence? I have no issue with that. Kids can use that time to think about anything. If it was a call for group-led prayer, that would be a problem.

5 Likes