Alabama legislature upholds ban on yoga in schools because it might cause kids to convert to Hinduism

Originally published at: Alabama legislature upholds ban on yoga in schools because it might cause kids to convert to Hinduism | Boing Boing

15 Likes

My facial expression a I tried to follow their logic…

26 Likes

And yet they let the kids play football – the classic game of “take their land away” – which is clearly based on Christianity. It’s the old double standard again!

27 Likes

If you are wondering why, the answer is “Alabama.” It is, of course, the only state in the country that bans yoga.

You’re falling behind, Mississippi. You don’t maintain the title of dumbest and most backward statehouse by letting things like this slide.

I’m also waiting for Florida to mandate the new, Red Bull sponsored competitive MMA Star-Spangled Mega-Yoga in its schools.

23 Likes

tumblr_d44fb38f36d4f2e3bb049a559e980ffa_c645fc0a_540

43 Likes

That sure seems like a stretch to me.

47 Likes

Downward dog all the way.

32 Likes

What is you religion failing to provide that sitting quietly and stretching will cause followers to abandon it?

59 Likes

Getting rid of your back pain could be considered a miracle I suppose?

27 Likes

32 Likes

That’s going to lead to kids chasing cars and rolling in garbage, sure as shootin’.

14 Likes

I’m amused that Alabama Christians are so afraid that their children will find other religions so much more pleasant and beneficial than theirs.

42 Likes

Math was invented by Hindus. Should that be banned too? After all, it is Alabama…

32 Likes

Slip a few copies of the Upanishads into school libraries and it’ll blow their goddamn minds.

13 Likes

If this isn’t actually an April Fool’s joke, then I guess this means Alabama schools might be in the vanguard of true separation of church and state! Buh-bye, “under God” in the revised Pledge of Allegiance!

9 Likes

“…school personnel shall be prohibited from using any techniques that involve the induction of hypnotic states, guided imagery, meditation…”

Pretty sure these were common things used by monks and priests of Abrahamic religions for centuries in order to get close to God. :confused:

22 Likes

Well, it’s about damn time!

2 Likes

Also, let’s never forget that when they complain about the government taking away “their freedom”, while many people take that to imply they care about “freedom”, they really only care about “their”. They’re more than happy to remove, repeal, rescind or abridge anyone else’s freedoms.

30 Likes

I mean, their logic is quite clear. They want the opportunity to indoctrinate children into christianity in schools, while prohibiting anyone from knowing other religions even exist.

It’s practically a christian stereotype.

Just watch, in a month or two, the Freedom From Religion Foundation will have to send some Alabama school a cease and desist over forcing kids to pray, or withholding privileges and goodies for not participating in bible study.

35 Likes

I assume these are the same folks having conniption fits about how “God has been removed from our schools”, right? Yeah, and insisting on (only Christian, and of course only their brand of Christian) prayer be imposed on the student body? Consistency is not a word they are terribly familiar with, eh?

30 Likes