Yoga no longer banned in Alabama schools, but "namaste" is

Originally published at: Yoga no longer banned in Alabama schools, but "namaste" is | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This good news that’s still bad news upsets me, but then I just breath deeply while thinking about Republicans.

not today middle finger GIF by Shalita Grant

23 Likes

“I understand that pledges of fealty are part of the Christian religion. I give my child permission to participate in pledge of allegiance in school.”

“I understand that cleanliness is part of the Islam religion. I give my child permission to participate in hygiene in school.”

“I understand that scholarship is part of the Judaism religion. I give my child permission to participate in learning in school.”

18 Likes

I am glad that Alabama has pulled its head out on this issue; I am delighted that my ex- lives in such an intellectual backwater.

I suppose Christianists think that yoga is going to somehow transform children into Hindus, just like an encounter with a gay or trans person might cause the child to suddenly decide to switch bathrooms. Apparently Christianity can only be maintained by a strict isolation from exposure to any other form of culture or experience.

It’s sad, really.

12 Likes

Yep, not to mention how this is all just one branch of the xenophobic fear ginned up by Republicans to keep their voters in line, and themselves in office.

8 Likes

…yoga instructors are barred from using any Sanskrit names for poses and must refer to them using their English equivalent only.

And tacos will be allowed in Alabama school cafeterias, but must be referred to as “unleavened corn-based flatbread folded around a savory mixture of meat and/or vegetables”. Otherwise white Baptist Alabaman kids could become Catholic Mexican kids.

14 Likes

Well - progress?

I believe they still ban mediation. Which, I mean, how do you stop that? I guess it is not class lead.

So. . . no story telling?

2 Likes

Sweet home Alabama chunk chunk naga naganaga chunk chunk

No “Namiste” for me!! chunk chunk naganaganaga na

“Hey Cleetus, what’s a Hindu?”

“I dunno, lays eggs I reckon”

9 Likes

You just gave me Hee Haw flashbacks…

2 Likes

This seems to be how they feel. I don’t recall if it was here, or Reddit, but I recall someone once saying that (believe it or not) there are parts of the south where the only movies allowed to play in theaters are Christian movies.

Note to the moderators: the link from the post to the forum thread doesn’'t work,

Over It Eye Roll GIF

7 Likes

Best gif evar!

6 Likes

In order for me to grok their position I have to understand that when they pray they believe they are literally talking to a bearded old white man who lives in the sky. That is why they perceive “guided imagery” as such a threat.

Do you want to tell them that the bearded white guy is actually Zeus/Jupiter? The Bible doesn’t really describe what God looks like, only Moses saw God, and he only saw God’s back.

19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

21 Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

3 Likes

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF

1 Like

Yeah, all of those years or doing what god wanted, dealing with the Israelites in the desert and then god moons poor old Moses.