Alabama legislature upholds ban on yoga in schools because it might cause kids to convert to Hinduism

I have bad news. They do indeed think that.

29 Likes

I’d like to see you say that to Jaime’s face, Alabama

8 Likes

“At issue is whether the practice of yoga promotes Hinduism — a claim several conservative Christian groups say is a problem.”

I suspect the real problem Abalama (sic) is facing is “several conservative Christian groups.”

17 Likes

They care about muhfreedoms, not yerfreedoms.

25 Likes

Back in the stone age I was at a summer camp where church services were mandatory. Catholic or Protestant were the only options.

My Buddhist friend alternated between them for variety, as did I (spacing out in a different place each sunday morning). When offered communion he refused, saying ‘I’m a vegetarian’. I still laugh now, 35 years later.

33 Likes

Obviously April fool’s day article right??

2 Likes

I recall in the past fundamentalists have been opposed to yoga because they say it promotes Satanism, the Kundalini yoga references to energy being like a serpent in your spine were their evidence.

4 Likes

If I had a kid there, I’d make a shirt.

Having said that, I’m not actually finding the word “Namaste” explicitly referenced in the PDF link of the text of the ban.

I think this meme’s gonna hold up.

6 Likes

I left Christianity all in my own. I did need Yoga to make that decision.

11 Likes

So, what of wrestling? Shouldn’t they be afraid of Roman era paganism and homosexuality?

This is so stupid.

22 Likes

Bowling’s origin is based in religion. Take the kids bowling after yoga.

7 Likes

The problem I had with the wafers was they break if you try to use them for dipping

11 Likes

I can definitely support introducing kids to Dudeism.

27 Likes

If we didn’t have a Supreme court compromised by fascism I’d like to have seen their attempt to hold up xianity as the ‘state religion’ there.
But the court has fallen to drunkards and sexual predators,
so I shan’t even bother to hope.
And that, if you were wondering, is how democracy dies.

12 Likes

Odds that the Alabama legislature asked any Hindus about yoga?

5 Likes

They’re more worried about kids learning how to spit fire after learning yoga

5 Likes

Obligs:

15 Likes

I like the think the backasswardsness of Alabama is great karmic payback for my ex-, who lives there and is raising a family amidst such small-mindedness, which I know probably kills her a little bit inside each day.

3 Likes

I mean, there is a religious component to yoga, and I wouldn’t necessarily have a problem if it were banned in public schools for that reason…

IF this was part of a rigorous purge, focused mainly on the number 1 threat, Christianity.

2 Likes

Public Service Announcement: It’s not “Alabamans” because it’s “Alabamians,” which sounds more stupider. Because Alabama.

I hate it here so much.

7 Likes