Florida mom abandons 3 kids in Waffle House to go drinking at nearby bar

Instead of giving us a clipped version they should have offered the whole thing. I haven’t been in a Waffle House in more than twenty years, in spite of living less than two miles from at least two*, but it’s reassuring to know their menu hasn’t changed in all that time–except for the prices now being $X.xx and the caloric information (also xxx).

Dammit, now I want to scrape together $X and go get a pecan waffle.

*I live in Tennessee, so, duh.

3 Likes

The official / legal term in the UK seems to be drink-driving https://www.gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties, or the government is just dumming down for the inarticulate masses?

Considering that the ruling classes on this island probably still believe that everyone aside from themselves is speaking pidgin English (US Americans not excluded), we could, of course, go into British chauvinism here big time: Whose English is it anyway. But I will leave it to others to defend the empire and its glory.

This. Where the fuck was the other mom? “The mother told police she met Gentry and her children earlier that day at the hotel pool and had allowed her daughter to go eat with the children, but was not aware they would be unsupervised.” - and yet it’s midnight and your kid isn’t back yet, and you’re not concerned?

3 Likes

It’s certainly possible this woman is not an alcoholic, but what she did is not sober behavior. I do agree with you 100% that putting her in the criminal justice system will not help her or her children. Let’s face it, the US criminal justice system today isn’t designed to help anyone other than the owners and executives of the many companies involved in the incarceration industry. But that’s a whole other discussion. While there are many preteens who can or should be able to take care of themselves unsupervised, many can’t. Not all children develop and mature in the same way. Maybe these kids were fine, maybe they weren’t. We don’t know them. What I do know is that this woman left her children alone in a restaurant to go to a bar across the street and drink. She didn’t send them alone to the neighborhood park, or to a museum, or the public library. Oh, and I also agree with you about the other mother. Leaving your child in the care of a woman you just met at a hotel is strange. That’s arguably worse, actually, than what the Waffle House did.

1 Like

Yep… so, the child care system likely sucks, because, like many other southern states, they refuse to fund such programs adequately. I can tell you about my own state, where children have died in care… So, sending them into care, where they are likely to be abused, moved around, and at worst, ignored, is probably not the best idea.

2 Likes

Only bone of contention, as far as I read it, most US cities, these days don’t really feature much in shape of public infrastructure (neighbourhood parks, museums or libraries, or for that matter public pavements) for parents to abandon their kids in…

I think there are plenty of parks, libraries, and museums in any US city with a population over 100000. And smaller cities still have parks. Most of them are also significantly safer spaces than they were 30-40 years ago.

most cities close all three of those that late at night, it was midnight after all.

2 Likes

Now this is an animated gif I can get behind. :+1: plus actual words!

Yeah, I never meant to imply she should have sent her kids to one of those instead. I was only replying to something another commenter said more in reference to young people in general being able to take care of themselves.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.