Florida Republican behind state's "Don't Say Gay" law pleads guilty to defrauding Covid relief fund

Originally published at: Florida Republican behind state's "Don't Say Gay" law pleads guilty to defrauding Covid relief fund | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Sometimes I’m really not sure if the photo at the top of a BoingBoing article is genuine or the output of Midjourney’s fevered dreams.

6 Likes

Another Republican using “culture wars” BS as a distraction while he picks someone’s pocket. This has been the essence of the party’s M.O. since at least the 1980s.

19 Likes

Dirtbags all the way down.

5 Likes

IANAL: but, like, if you defraud the government, basically stealing the peoples’ money, shouldn’t you be prevented from holding office?

Can we see some jail time for these grifters or what?

14 Likes

According to Florida law, those convicted of a felony cannot hold public office.

What absolutely throws sand into my gears on this is he stole $30k, barely enough money to buy a car these days. He could have stayed on the public pay roll for decades, and grifted many orders of magnitude more than $30k. What a freaking moron.

6 Likes

Prompt: “Carey Elwes’ younger brother you always knew was going to end up in prison.”

9 Likes

Whether it’s embezzlement or being bought off by corporate interests, most politicians seem incapable of playing for more than penny ante stakes. I’m not sure why that is, but it’s very common.

2 Likes

The United States has the best politicians money can buy … and such good value, too. We’re like the “Everything under a dollar” of political corruption.

1 Like

Read the fine print: 3 transactions, each more than $10,000 (a legal threshold for prosecuting tax and fraud cases). Chances are those 3 transactions add up to much closer to that $150,000 figure.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.