Florida's new Board of Education chairman: “I won’t support any evolution being taught as fact at all in any of our schools.”

Not really related, but it sparked my memory.

5 Likes

The forces of ignorance grow stronger every day in this country. Sometimes I wish there was a reserve where these people could live Biblically and get by without the “curse” of science.

30 Likes

Alabama? (For the record, I’m in Florida and I’m ashamed of this guy)

8 Likes

All these bible thumpers keep wishing for the rapture to take them away from the earth. If the rapture really did happen, it would be a win-win. They all get whisked away as they dream of, and the rest of us left behind no longer have to deal with their BS.

18 Likes

Sure, teach them evolution by natural selection as a theory, but also teach them what “theory” means in science. Just make sure that creationism is taught as religion, not science.

31 Likes

Can we come to an agreement on the starting date for the second period of the dark ages? We are re-entering another period of the dark ages aren’t we? I guess it doesn’t matter just as long as we can agree that the ability to use rational thought is over.

20 Likes

Yeah I think that is the reason for the careful language. The syllabus will still get taught, just with a disclaimer somewhere.

1 Like

Some actually would say we’re in the “dark enlightenment”. At least that’s one of the names for what essentially amounts to the resurgence of global fascism and regressive conservatism.

20 Likes

I won’t support that picture of Jesus petting his dinosaur being taught in this post as fact. There is no possible way that Jesus had hair that straight or skin that pale. Not a theory, just a historical fact.

19 Likes

Please- everyone knows Jesus wasn’t from earth.

28 Likes

And in this context it basically means “any science that doesn’t support the Young Earth/Garden of Eden/Noah’s Ark narrative.”

14 Likes

This is how the Enlightenment went down on Bizarro World.

8 Likes

In science parlance, a law is an observation and theory is an explanation. Poor choice of words.

7 Likes

Yep. But you need to stress the other part. For something to be accepted as theory it has to be robust, explanatory, not contradict the data, if possible predictive, and all the rest.

5 Likes

It’s such a shame that evolution has led to HIM.

He’s further clear evidence that evolution does not steadily “progress”, and has no predetermined goal.

8 Likes

Alabama will be jumping on that bandwagon in about 3 seconds.

2 Likes

This shit is so tiresome.

I’m never sure if creationists talk about something “only” being a theory because they’re so ignorant they don’t know that the common usage of “theory” to mean “hypothesis” is not the scientific use, or they’re just being disingenuous. (Both ignorance and dishonesty are their stock-in-trade, so it’s hard to tell.) These creationists then describe their religious views as “theories” to put them on equal footing, using the same layman’s use of “theory.” Which creates an additional problem for creationists, because the belief they describe as a “theory” is inevitably not consistent with any known evidence, so it’s not even a hypothesis.

I keep saying that makes as much sense as standard creationism. (Or that the universe was created last Thursday.)

14 Likes

A true Florida Man (no offense to non-capitalized men who happen to be from Florida).

4 Likes

It’s equivocation. If your entire philosophical edifice doesn’t require anything like consistency, neither does the language you use to describe it. Any christian who’s also read the bible by necessity is a master of cognitive dissonance. It’s not difficult for them to freely switch between opposing definitions as long as it suits the purpose of only serving their pre-defined conclusion. I know this as a former christian fundamentalist myself. Truth must be subservient to belief.

18 Likes

Spock digs on blintzes.

In his autobiography I Am Not Spock , Nimoy wrote that he based it on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the gesture.

11 Likes