Florida's new Board of Education chairman: “I won’t support any evolution being taught as fact at all in any of our schools.”

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/02/floridas-new-board-of-educat.html

4 Likes

76 Likes

That’s a first ammendment violation. I defy him to articulate a non religious reason why not that is even remotely defensible.

I bet the FFRF (Freedom From Religion Foundation) has already sent this guy a letter explaining how he should take that back. And how much money he’s going to cost the taxpayers losing in court.

61 Likes

well, to be fair. i think that the consensus would be that evolution is a fact, but natural selection is a theory. ( just like global warming is the fact, and anthropomorphic climate change is the theory. )

which this guy gets wrong on both accounts.

19 Likes

Yes, you are right, but I think the consensus would be that “theory of evolution” is understood to mean “theory of evolution by natural selection.”

22 Likes

In fairness, slackwit Andy Tuck is a product of de-evolution. /s

5f7d3a5428418c2f

31 Likes

@frauenfelder ; I am very confused about your post, mark; the post you were linking to is from 2008, and that post links to a source which isnt available no more and dates also 2008.

so, floridas “new” board of education chairman?!?

10 Likes

That’s not fair to Devo!

21 Likes

Looks like his comments were from 2008, but that he’s only just been made chair.

26 Likes

Tuck’s “Natural AG Solutions LLC is an agricultural nutritional company that focuses on enhancing plant health through nutritional balance.”

WTF?!

https://www.dms.myflorida.com/agency_administration/communications/partnership_for_public_facilities_infrastructure_act/member_biographies/andy_tuck

5 Likes

He is indeed the new chairman:

Edit: removed other link because it was posted above.

12 Likes

ah, got it. thank you.

7 Likes

65 Likes

Like, he’s a citrus grower! He literally relies on evolution for his livelihood. If you believe that artificial selection works, you basically need to believe that natural selection exists.

People like this make my head explode.

56 Likes

That’s ok because if I was in charge I would not teach any math. You don’t need it anyway, calculators do it all.

9 Likes

and yet he has no idea how science even works:

Tuck said his problem is that scientists can’t say for certain how the universe began

19 Likes

Well if he gets something like, er cancer, as a person of faith he should rely on thoughts and prayers to get well. Hate to rely on the theory that chemotherapy can help…

24 Likes

WTF?!

Maybe it’s an electrolyte plant irrigation system utilizing Brawndo, it’s what plants crave!
;;

18 Likes

#”Florida’s new Board of Education chairman: “I won’t support any evolution being taught as fact at all in any of our schools.”

Man, those poor kids are only going to get accepted by colleges in Alabama.

26 Likes

Will he accept the teaching of Extremely Young Creationism? That the Earth was created November 2016.

Teach ALL the Controversy!

28 Likes