Montana bill would ban teaching of scientific theories in schools

Originally published at: Montana bill would ban teaching of scientific theories in schools | Boing Boing

19 Likes

“If we operate on the assumption that a theory is fact, unfortunately, it leads us to asking questions that may be potentially based on false assumptions,”

Teachers aren’t operating on that assumption. That’s why they use the word “theory” in the first place and define it.

So what we have here is this idiot making a false assumption baselessly asserting a false assumption on the part of others. In other words, yet another Christo-fascist worshipper of ignorance.

69 Likes

I was taught the definition of theory more than 50 years ago in a small southern town. Why don’t they just start with that? Oh wait, the Qpublicans don’t want students to learn anthing.

56 Likes

The problem is these people still haven’t cracked open a fucking dictionary to learn:

This:

scientific theory

1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation:

Is not this:

theory

1. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

/ 6. contemplation or speculation:

66 Likes

So no more Bible teaching then?

Or is that all proven facts?

35 Likes

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.”
― Seneca

58 Likes

Thats what i was thinking.

There are absolute mountains of evidence backing up scientific theories, but there is absolutely none whatsoever supporting the existence of god(s).

Time to ban religious education :wink: /s

31 Likes

MT Parent: “What did you learn in school today?”
MT Kid: “How to say, ‘Yes, boss’ in Chinese.”

25 Likes

How many times do these people need to have the definition of the word “theory” explained to them?

17 Likes

They aren’t interested. There are only three things Maga conservatives are interested in:

1. Enraging liberals.
  2. Being enraged by liberals.
  3. Staying in power so they can do 1 and 2 more effectively.
36 Likes

There’s grifting in there somewhere.

31 Likes

As MC Hawking rapped in F*ck the Creationists:

Them wack-ass b*tches say, “evolution’s just a theory”
They best step off, them brainless fools, I’ll give them cause to fear me.

Full lyrics here!

11 Likes

I live in the wrong state.
They live in a constant state of ignorance.

8 Likes

I wonder if they will ban teaching colour theory :wink:

Should make Kindergarten interesting.

(The idiocy on display is mind numbing)

10 Likes

I have an acquaintance ( an allotment neighbour ) who found me in my shed last year reading a book.
They asked me what I was reading.
They don’t work sundays - that’s church time.
Their house has books - bibles and self-help books galore.
When I gave them the title of the book they replied “Oh, I never read fiction”.
I replied “I beg to differ”.

We do get along, but we also have some lively discussions.

37 Likes

“If we operate on the assumption that a theory is fact, unfortunately, it leads us to asking questions that may be potentially based on false assumptions,” Emrich said.

Oh, I see. Asking questions is a problem - especially given the ready answers this fellow has ready to give us.

Is my Unitarian Universalist showing? I hope so!

27 Likes

Ah, this old chestnut. I’m never sure where ignorance leaves off and dishonestly comes in, when talking about conservatives grossly misrepresenting what a scientific theory is. I have to assume it’s mostly dishonesty on the part of politicians who advance policies like this, but sometimes these people are flat Earther-level ignorant, too.

Another problem is they wouldn’t necessarily understand those words if they read them. They have a lot invested in not understanding anything about science.

26 Likes

Started reading this with great interest but then an ad for “Ow, My Balls” distracted me …

21 Likes

I’m developing a scientific theory about the honorable Senator Emrich right now! Having a dickens of a time developing a non-destructive test for it.

14 Likes

When I first learned about evolution I thought it was the most amazing and beautiful explanation for the diversity of life on Earth, and that it was like looking at god’s handiwork the same way you’d watch Norm Abram make something on New Yankee Workshop and see all the little dovetail joints and pegs hidden by carved molding.

[ETA: it doesn’t disprove the existence of god, just the veracity of certain creation myths, which we should recognize as parables and not history.]

16 Likes