White House decries science

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/white-house-decries-science.html

16 Likes

I mean, that’s been the GOP’s slogan for decades, hasn’t it?

72 Likes
33 Likes

“A small mind is easily filled with faith.”

47 Likes

I’ll take “was this a real quote?” for $200.

Trump said that the vote is still out on whether democracy actually works.

14 Likes

Is anyone surprised any more? Seriously. 2 years ago it should have been pretty obvious that 45 is just using a scorched earth policy to get back at his rather successful predecessor. This lady belongs on a fox news talking head bit. She should not be a national press secretary.

And please remove the crucifix on your neck that seems to be worn every day. Maybe wear something inclusive? Oh, right…

11 Likes

Translation: “observable reality should not stand in the way of our improbable fantasy.”

52 Likes

Jesus, do they think that the virus votes?

15 Likes

giphy (6)
But the democrats are the one “politicising” this pandemic. Ok.

24 Likes

“The problem with keeping an open mind, is that people will keep filling it with rubbish”

7 Likes

Yes. This from 2004, for example:

[Rove] said that guys like me were “in what we call the reality-based community,” which he defined as people who “believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.” I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. “That’s not the way the world really works anymore.” He continued “We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors … and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”

[Source]

Assuming enough of us are left alive to have the luxury of studying history after these dangerous fantasists have their way.

36 Likes

When the Russians launched Sputnik in 1957 it served as a wake-up call that the United States was lagging behind the Soviets in STEM fields. Suddenly politicians of both parties couldn’t hype science education enough (even as they continued to hold up free practice of religion as a sign of our moral superiority over godless commies).

Now it’s blindingly clear that we lag behind the entire world in terms of our response to a deadly pandemic and the response from Republicans is ”down with science!!”

32 Likes

plantscrave

47 Likes

39 Likes

Up to this, anti-science people (who sill use science all the time) could delude themselves because the policies weren’t directly causing harm (like denying climate change which leads to worse storms, sea levels rising, yadda yadda yadda) but this is direct. Open schools during pandemic means students dying and indirectly killing friends and family.

18 Likes

And while we’re at it… “Stupid gravity”

9 Likes

Although she then goes on to say ‘the science is on our side’ and encourages local districts to ‘follow the science’. The validity of said science aside, the headline is a little out of context.

10 Likes

Animal House All Well

15 Likes

Exactly - the press secretary’s statement is much more post-truth than dogmatic anti-science (such as evangelical anti-evolution theory). She implies ‘the science’ on transmission reduction is not valuable, but urges districts to 'follow the science" that says that children die less from the disease.

The other truthy thing she pushed was that ‘out peers’ are all opening up their schools, without even a mention of the elephant in the room: ‘our peers’ dd a coordinated quarantine following internationally recognized guidelines for each stage, with schools opening only after stage 5 (no local transmission) has been maintained for a period of time.

26 Likes

It is the only thing standing between us and Flying Cars!

7 Likes