Fodor's picks the worst airport in the world: LAX

In terms of getting to the airport, LAX might be the worst (maybe one of these years LA will finally make it possible to get all the way there on the train instead of frustratingly close), but we’ve always had worse luck with delays and general frustration in ATL. :neutral_face:

Definitely. Singapore’s airport is beautiful. The incredible natural plants and mix of large green spaces and smaller, more intimately scaled spaces is hard to beat. It’s just about the only airport that we’ve encountered that feels like you might actually enjoy spending time there. An express train would be nice, but the local train is convenient and very cheap compared to airport trains just about anywhere (a welcomed cost-saving given how expensive Singapore is overall).

Hong Kong’s direct train is nice (albeit fairly expensive for an airport train by global standards), but being able to check-in earlier in the day and drop off your checked bags from Hong Kong or Kowloon station makes the city so convenient. :airplane:

2 Likes

It is a little weird on the short hop flight from L.A., where it will take you maybe five-ten minutes to get in visual distance of SAN and then another 30 minutes to head out to east county and loop back around. I’ve always wanted to start shouting “wait… wait… it’s over there! Do something we’re going the wrong way!!!”

Coming from the east, pretty normal. You mean you don’t normally land in places where you could reach out your plane window and high five someone on a rooftop?

3 Likes

The thing I really hate about LAX are the food choices. I know it’s expected that things will be expensive but there’s still a sliding scale of awfulness and LAX is at the extreme. Last occasion went to this one place where our $15 caesar salads were terrible, and these two older ladies sat next to us and had each ordered biggies, like the lobster platter or something for like $25 and when their food came you could just see their faces sink, the exact moment when their hearts broke and their remaining faith in humanity drained away. And during construction, which basically means every day forever, the choices are so constrained.

And pretty much every experience there has been like that. I fucking hate that airport.

4 Likes

Austin’s nacent international terminal is severely overloaded, but as Fodor’s also notes, the city has done a great job with its mix of local merchants.

Far too many airports have the same generic chain options and Austin’s retailers are almost all branches of local places (Amy’s Ice Cream, Salt Lick, Hill’s Cafe, etc), which is a nice touch. It makes it easy to have one more local experience on the way out of town. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I agree with you, but… if Burbank had to handle the number of flights and passengers that LAX does (note: this is a stark impossibility, of course), it would be an even more hellish nightmare, 'cause it was designed in a slower, gentler time and really isn’t very efficient.
I like flying out of Burbank just fine, but it’s not in the same league.

1 Like

The world’s worst airport is Juba international airport, which is a big tent and runs on generator power. If the generator stops no one can check in. Arrival hall, which I call ‘the octagon’, is basically 100 people fighting to get their bags which get driven in on a truck and then left on the ground by the tent. Customs is four men standing behind a plastic table. Here is a photo I found online, but I have heard of people being arrested for taking photos at the airport.

4 Likes

This giant piece of garbage hanging in the entry to the International Terminal of LAX is a prime example of it’s epic crappiness. Every time I’ve been there, I marvel at whoever convinced someone to let them make that and get paid for it and hang it there.

“You’re leaving LA - don’t forget our underpasses of plastered over wheat posters!”

2 Likes

But do they have free wifi?

4 Likes

And it has a roof-top, open air swimming pool (or it did the last time I was there, anyway). Beats the hell out of sitting in the bar when you’re transiting between UK and Oz.

2 Likes

I have been for a swim in said pool. Nearby the Aerotel transit hotel, overlooking the tarmac above Gate 42 (the answer to life, the universe, and everything). I missed the butterfly garden when I was there, and the Jewel was not yet open. Need to plan another trip to Southeast Asia!

2 Likes

Last time I transited Changi I had 20mins to get from T3 to T4 … and the train wasn’t working. My visions of a relaxing stop and a refreshing shower disolved in a puddle of sweat, which made the next 10 hour flight less than comfortable.

I’ve been through there several times, and have yet to find the fabled butterfly garden. Or the pool.

1 Like

Butterfly garden and pool are in Terminal 3 near the Ambassador Transit hotel and lounge (upstairs). Central area near all the shops.

There’s also the sunflower garden in Terminal 2 which awesome cause you can actually go outside for some fresh air (after getting past all the smokers). Orchid garden I believe is in Terminal 1.

I really love the free movie theaters where you can kill some time, relax in a comfy chair and nap if needed.

It’s cool that you can pretty much roam from terminal to terminal all within security 24/7. Late night there is near cause it’s so quiet.

If you need a quick workout just jog from T1-T3 without taking the train. Must be like 4-5 km total. That place is freakin huge

1 Like

Bob Hope is the best airport in the world! It has never taken me more than five minutes between getting dropped off, and getting to my gate. Oh my goodness!

the worst airport in the world is one I have to be in for some reason.

3 Likes

LAX may be below standard for the US, but to call it the worst airport in the world is pretty ignorant of how bad airports can be in developing countries. Having traveled internationally pretty extensively, I can say that Lagos, Nigeria’s Murtala Muhammad Airport is far far worse in both its surrounding traffic issues, and in the overall experience of getting through the airport.

1 Like

How was the shopping?

According to Fodor, Heathrow is the best airport in the world for shoppers.

I’ve never understood that. What the hell do people buy at airports? I just want to get in and out as quickly and with as little baggage as possible.

Yup, that would be the sensible option. The ease of getting to and from Heathrow is about the only good thing about the place.

Assuming of course your plane has the decency to land or depart at an hour where public transport is running and you’re happy to route through London.

5 Likes

We were heading for London (my sister lives there) and got in at 6 AM. We were put on hold for a couple of orbits, which is a consequence of the traffic that airport handles.

We didn’t shop there (why would you?) it was straight off the plane and on to the train.

1 Like

Duty Free. Not just alcohol and cigarettes, but clothing, etc. too.

5 Likes

It’s a whole different world :slight_smile:

2 Likes