Folding MacBook rumors spread

I prefer Windows and a good keyboard. And it is a touchscreen.

So, a Thinkpad W701ds with an extra screen?

I think there was a reason why Lenovo never made upgraded versions of this laptop.

Posing?

They’ve already had a lesser degree of that with the little stick-on webcam covers.

If that’s what the conventional clamshells are doing a more complex design with a more delicate screen seems unlikely to be more tolerant.

Well, they learned a lesson (which might be quickly forgotten, granted).

Apple makes big UI goofs from time to time (the touchbar, the round mouse on the first edition iMac, the stylus-and-handwriting-recognition fiasco that was the Apple Newton, etc) but they rarely make the same UI goof twice.

Why repeat mistakes of the past when you can move forward to the next big dumb thing, like the Apple Vision Pro!

2 Likes

I don’t know that Apple has learned the lesson of why the Touchbar failed.

It was clear to some, even internally and from the beginning, that missing haptics were a big concern. It was interesting and revealing that they took a half-step back by re-introducing a physical Escape key, but never actual Haptics.

I could be charitable and guess they couldn’t find a way to give a good haptic experience, like maybe putting a single Taptic Engine™️© in the middle wouldn’t translate well for the sides, and it wasn’t feasible to put more for a better distribution…

I’ll put that one as under the “Good idea, mediocre execution”, alongside the “never talk about it again” iPhone 3D Touch, and remain skeptical that they can pull off a dual-screen laptop with good UX.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.