Hr's how to protct your Appl MacBook kyboard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/27/hrs-how-to-protct-your-appl.html

3 Likes

Except from what I understand the new keyboards are designed to help with airflow for cooling. This kinda breaks that.

4 Likes

I love the fact that we, as consumers, are forced to shell out additional money to buy accessories in order to avoid damaging our precious electronics that can be avoided if the manufactures just used a higher quality of materials in the first place.

First we shell out a cool grand for the latest iphone X? only to have to purchase cases and screen protectors and countless cords and adapters. Now we have to buy keyboard protectors in order to actually use, you know…our keyboards.

Yay capitalism!

6 Likes

Inspiration for the next gen keyboard cover:

8cb625ea14a4681da726c71deeeb1fad--dune-film-dune-movie

5 Likes

Just avoid holding your laptop that way

5 Likes

Working as intended, really. The profit margin on making things that actually last is too thin to be viable. Either it’s so expensive that not many people can buy it, or affordable so everyone can. Either way, once everyone that can get it has your thing, you’re out of business. Especially if your thing can be passed down to future generations. But if you make your thing so it wears out, or is easily damaged, the revenue streams flow.

They aren’t here for us. They’re here for them.

On topic; after my daughter destroyed my iMac keyboard and didn’t tell me, I bought a new keyboard and started using one of those covers. It worked well for quite some time. But I never liked the feel of it. Now she’s living on her own, and the cover is back off.

1 Like

At least when it comes to cases and screen protectors, it isn’t Apple making the money, but rather a third party (unless you buy them at the Apple store, which at those markups make no sense).

I read that and thought, “fingers in pies.”

Without diving in to find out who really owns what, I wouldn’t surprised to hear Apple started up a company or two in order to sell more affordable versions of things like screen protectors, covers and cases under a different brand name. It sounds like good business to me.

Ah yes, keyboard condoms. Also leave it to Apple to design something that will only be useful/usable if you buy additional products.

Not convinced this is a sound design idea

2 Likes

Easier solution: stop buying Macs, their quality has clearly gone into the shitter.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not an Apple user so i don’t know what i’m looking at :stuck_out_tongue: looks like the bottom of an optical mouse? But the layout doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, it’s their latest Magic Mouse design. It’s rechargeable, unlike the first version that used batteries. Except you have to flip it on its back to charge it, so you can’t use it while charging, and the system doesn’t alert me when it needs to be charged until it’s down to 2%.

If I forget to check – which I do, often – I can be sure of not being able to use my mouse for awhile.

So, apart from an air cooled keyboard, they have at least one other unsound design idea that I’m aware of.

8 Likes

Not to mention the MacBooks that when you open them, the screen shuts off, because the cable was a couple mm too short. And a supple iPad Pro whose subtle bend is a feature, not a bug.

1 Like

I had a minor aneurysm trying to process this.

5 Likes

I’m sorry. Do you happen to be in a country with sensible healthcare options?

3 Likes

When I started with my last company I had the choice between Windows or Mac laptop. Having been a Windows user pretty exclusively for the last 10 years or so I opted for the MacBook Pro for a change. Everything was fine for the first 6 months or so but then it started just freezing up at certain points and forcing me to do hard reboots.

After a few months of that nonsense and having it happen at the worst possible times, I switched back to a Dell Windows machine. I like the Mac UI better but I can’t work with something that’s not reliable.

1 Like

7 Likes

When i was going to college (roughly 10 yrs ago) the college i was at had their computer labs decked out with top of the line Macs. Great machines but they froze and crashed on me with more regularity than i had experienced when compared to my Windows system using the same programs.

1 Like