Tech analyst claims Apple is giving up on butterfly keyboards

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/04/tech-analyst-claims-apple-is-g.html

6 Likes

This reminded me of a friend showing off a swanky (for the time) new laptop; the first in our social circle.

Another friend said, “What happens if the keyboard breaks? Do you have to replace the whole computer?”

“Oh, that’s unlikely to happen.”, says the happy laptop owner, “These keys are really well engineered.”, poking a key to prove the point.

We all stand round open-mouthed when the key pops off and bounces under the sofa.

Sometimes you laugh at the world. Sometimes the world laughs at you.

22 Likes

Dammit, now I have coffee on my keyboard. Fortunately I have a keyboard that doesn’t have a heart attack at the sight of a milliliter of liquid. (Don’t worry, no keyboards were actually harmed in the making of this comment.)

21 Likes

Now if they can just kill off the stupid fucking touchbar too…

Oh, and make the trackpad smaller again. The amount of input errors I get when typing on my work 2016 15" MacBook Pro because I accidentally brush the touchbar or trackpad without realising it is really bloody annoying.
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put two large input surfaces with no physical feedback so close to the keyboard?

Oh yeah.

13 Likes

Like John Gruber, I deeply hope that Jony Ive’s obsession with ultra-minimalism and thinness – which resulted in crappy MacBook keyboards, computers that had to have memory glued/welded in, and user interfaces without, y’know, buttons – leaves with him.

13 Likes

Why don’t they use complicated, loud, clicky mechanical switches? I’ve heard those are the best. Repeatedly. From everyone that has ever bought one.

8 Likes

Exactly! This, the keyboard, and making the screen a little more durable (thicker glass/plastic) would greatly improve the machine. BetterTouchTool can minimize the TerribleTouchBar™ annoyances.

3 Likes

If they had a proven and robust technology (as they seem to in my 2010 MacBook that has been functioning for almost a decade of use), just why did they move to the butterfly keyboard in the first place? (Because it shaved off 0.01 mm of width?)

9 Likes

Yes. This exactly.

8 Likes

And add some more ports. I really, really want a new MBP but between the awful keyboard and stupid, waste of space touch bar I just keep waiting for Apple to pivot.

4 Likes

There is only one butterfly keyboard that is fit for the name.

16 Likes

Different trains, etc. I love both the touchbar and aircraft carrier trackpad.

I submit this design to Apple - notice the keys are offset for more efficient typing.

2 Likes

MX Cherry switches FTW! :smiley:

4 Likes
1 Like

I can’t “like” this enough. I loved my 701, and while it was overall the least reliable computer I’ve ever owned the butterfly keyboard was amazing.

Filed under Safest of Safe Predictions.

The 2012-2015 generation of MacBooks is almost perfect.

The 2016-2019 generation is a complete dud. The only generation of MacBooks I would never consider owning or using.

Apple can’t afford another dud generation. 2020-2023 must be much, much better.

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered a new MBP, and will let you know how the 4th gen butterfly keyboard compares to the pre-2015 version.

I’ve typed enough on gen 1-3 butterfly keyboards to believe I won’t regret the choice. We’ll see :wink:

3 Likes

SCNR.

1 Like

Woo yeah. My PC came bundled with a mechanical keyboard that’s astoundingly loud, especially at night when my spouse is going to bed. Typing more slowly or gently doesn’t help. CLICKITYCLICKITY CLICKITY CLICK-IT-Y . . . . The noise encourages me to turn off the computer though, so that’s a plus.

2 Likes