Tech analyst claims Apple is giving up on butterfly keyboards

Love my 2011 MBP. All the ports, good keys, MagSafe, no interior glue (I think), no touchbar. That thing better live forever.

3 Likes

12 years of mostly bulletproof hardware, and a belief that it doesn’t typically take Apple 4 tries to get something right, so they’re going to try and put a nail in it this time.

And, I work with Linux in every aspect of my life. I don’t want to fight with it on the desktop, but I do want Un*x underneath, so OSX is the best option for that.

Plus, I want to be able to map common macros to my touchbar, damnit!

8 Likes

I am still using an oldskool dell business keyboard. I still run it through the dishwasher on cold every few months.

3 Likes

If you ever game with someone who uses a loud mechanical kb, you’ll grow to hate them.

“Shotty in the left corner”

“BUMPBUMPBUMPBUMPBUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMPBUMPBUMPBUMP”

3 Likes

I work in a one of those awful open office environments. I have a mechanical keyboard but it has Cherry MX Red keys with o-rings because I’m not an asshole, so it’s not very loud.

A co-worker has one with fucking Blues and the racket is enough to drive me insane.

6 Likes

I admit, the keyboard was never something I had to deal with much since I use an external keyboard and a Magic Trackpad, with the MacBook sitting in a stand and hooked up to external monitors. And the thing that bugged me much more than the key travel is the way I have to mentally switch between the USA keyboard and the German built-in keyboard. And what makes it even more fun for my colleagues is that the brackets and braces are in different positions on a Mac German than they are on a PC German, and neither have them marked on the keyboard.

4 Likes

two macs and one pc. the macs have different native languages and different symbol layouts. which of course are both different than the pc.

coupled with inconsistent shortcuts between apps on the macs ( ctrl or cmd for copy and paste? who can remember? ) i can only really type one complete sentence per day.

4 Likes

I used to know a woman who had six motorcycles with five different gearbox patterns.

3 Likes

typing on my cherry mx green POK3R plugged in to the 2014 MB pro
Good luck.

Having grown up in the era when keyboard layouts weren’t even vaguely standardized, I feel your pain. Back in the 70s/80s, every single terminal and every micro had its own unique layout, which got especially fun in the university environment.

I remember one terminal whose Enter, Tab, and Backspace keys were the same size as the letters and symbols.

4 Likes

I think it’s inevitable. Jony Ive’s insistence on reducing ports, reducing thickness, and uni-body construction made for an era of some sexy looking devices, but they’ve sort of reached their nadir with the current MacBooks, which have ONE PORT. That’s it. One single multi-use port for charging, video, accessories, etc. Which, yes, is sleek and clean, but forces you to either choose your functionality or get a big ugly extra-port dongle. I’ll happily take clunky & functional over frustration.

5 Likes

That, right there, has to be the most ridiculous design for a laptop I’ve seen. News to Apple: a laptop is a tool, not a fashion statement. And yet, a tool can be made to be both good-looking and functional. Henry Dreyfuss was a master at that; too bad he’s long-gone now.

Jony Ive is no Henry Dreyfuss.

8 Likes

The escape key is too critical a part of my life to ever use a Touch Bar. Are you not a vi user? Comfortable touch-typing with that fake key? Some other workaround?

1 Like

I pretty much live in vi, and hitting Esc on the touch bar isn’t much different than typing on a phone - my muscle memory knows where it is.

As a bonus the rest of the touchbar gets to hold shell / vi snippets that I often use, too.

3 Likes

I tried to code on a phone once. It broke me.

Seriously, I tried to like a MbP I had to work with for seven months. And I loathe the Win7 Fujitsu desktop I have to use currently. But between them, I hate the lack of a physical Esc and get mad at some of the soft key ideas the MB tried to offer me.

It’s time to bust out my favorite two-by-two!

A lot of designers think their job is to choose between the upper left quadrant and the lower right quadrant – or, with slightly more nuance, to find a “sweet spot” along the line that cuts diagonally through those quadrants that balances the aesthetic and functional aspects of the task.

This is not design. This is figuring out whether you’re an artist or an engineer. Design is the process of moving your work as close to the upper right as possible.

2 Likes

I have a Macbook and while I appreciate minimal travel on the keys I think it went too far and lost the feedback element. I really like the standard mac keyboards that come with their desktops and also really like the keyboard with the iPad pro cover. It’s got enough travel to feel good and is even quieter than the desktop keyboards.

Clacky, high travel keyboards can die in a fire though. Between the noise and the unnecessary amount of finger movement and awkward hand positioning I hate those things.

Other than that I really like MacBook including the single USB-C port. For my uses the small size was ideal and the occasional port issue was well handled by and an adpator.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.