Folding phones are an unfolding disaster

Fight me.

3 Likes

you know the only samsung phone I ever had was also unrepairable short of buying a new one. Maybe it’s a strategy.

+10 points for the headline wordplay

3 Likes

Maybe I’m alone in this, but it seems really obvious to me that the best answer to the “problem” of trying to do too much on a tiny screen would be a small phone and a real tablet-sized tablet that were a matched set, closely synchronized with software. I’m thinking there would be a button on your phone that meant: “I want to continue this task on my tablet instead now.” (Or if you want a slick but empty new UI gesture for people to obsess over, set it up so that tapping your phone and tablet together transfers the state of the current app over. Clink!)

This would combine the advantages of 1) pocketability and 2) a large screen when you need it, and it would mean you had two well-thought-out, highly-developed devices that could even be used by two different people at once quite a lot of the time.

But that’s apparently so difficult that the powers that be decided to try to make glass fold instead. Software is hard, I guess.

2 Likes

OMG THAT’S AMAZING how old is it?

1 Like

2003, a great device in its day. Somewhere around here I’ve got the folding infrared keyboard I used with it.

1 Like

I’m holding out for one that I can roll up and smoke.

2 Likes

I was thinking about this. I get the desire to push new tech, but this design would be better served by making 2 screens come together with an almost invisible bezel between them. Why not make it that way instead?

1 Like

That’s what it is.

The Galaxy fold is 2 screens with no edge bezel butted up against each other on one edge. So when you fold it you’re only folding the plastic screen protector. Not the whole screen itself.

1 Like

Almost 2K? Can it run Fortnite at 90 FPS? Because thats what I can get for 2K.

An (almost) $2k phone that can’t be repaired feels proper for the timeline that has Donald Trump as President. I wonder what phones they have in the timeline where Bernie became president in 2016?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.