Review units of Samsung's $2000 folding phone are failing after hours of use

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/19/review-units-of-samsungs-20.html

3 Likes

Pioneers get the arrows. Settlers get the land.

12 Likes

You demand phones that actually work? Talk about entitled! First-world problems got you down? Well boo hoo.

4 Likes

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS

17 Likes

Well my last samsung phone failed after hours of use. And that’s the story of my last Samsung phone.

4 Likes

At least it doesn’t spontaneously combust.
That’s a step in the right direction.

6 Likes

Yeah, well, maybe they were holding it wrong.

9 Likes

“We never said you could TOUCH it, with your FINGERS!”

12 Likes

I meant to write folding it wrong.

11 Likes

also dangerous

4 Likes

You have no idea.

4 Likes

… yet to be proven.

6 Likes

I’ve had the S5, S8+ and now the S10. I actually am not enamored with the S10 as i was with the previous one, but the screen on that one cracked when i dropped it. I’ve never had phone quality issues and i genuinely like the Galaxy line of phones.

I do have to say that i have two annoyances with the S10. The screen is noticeably not as vivid and bright as my S8+, and also it has no front facing LED on the phone. So you can’t tell when you have pending notifications, when the phone is charging, etc.

Not the worst things in the world and i can live with them but i do miss my previous phone. On the pro side i did try the camera on it and it does seem better than the already stellar camera on the S8+.

Review units of Samsung’s $2000 folding phone are failing after hours of use.

That’s like… one day.

Over-ambitious planned obsolescence?

6 Likes

Whatever happened, it certainly wasn’t because I have treated this phone badly… We did stick a tiny piece of molding clay on the back of the phone yesterday to prop it up for a video shoot, which is something we do in every phone video shoot. So perhaps a tiny piece of that snuck into a gap on the back of the hinge and then around or through its cogs until it lodged in between the screen and the hinge.

Sounds like:

Verge Reviewer is to Samsung
as
FOX News is to Trump

2 Likes

On the plus side; Samsung’s taste in Android skinning is hideous enough that having the display fall over and die is an event with elements of mercy.

5 Likes

You got to know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
know when to walk away,
know when to run.

~ Kenny Rogers, The Gambler

11 Likes

Samsung, always trying to out-Apple Apple.

2 Likes

“Breaking News…”

4 Likes