"Glass" on Samsung's foldable phone no more scratch-resistant than plastic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/glass-on-samsungs-foldab.html

2 Likes

I can watch Reservoir Dogs or A Clockwork Orange without wincing. Yes somehow, this smartphone review was too much for me to handle.

10 Likes

Man I want a set of those Mohs scale scribes.

7 Likes

I’m still convinced these foldable phones are a technology soloution desperatly looking for a problem to fill, not the reverse…

They do have applications, like say a curved display on a EV car’s dashboard or a curved monitor. That makes some sense, but in those cases the screen is fixed…
Having the screen be a hinge, IMHO no…

10 Likes

Yeah, but at Samsung if it doesn’t catch fire it’s a good day.

3 Likes

Is it me, or is this gentleman channeling the Lockpicking Lawyer?

1 Like

It would be interesting to know what this stuff is. It would be gutsy of Samsung to lie in an overt and easily falsifiable way about ‘glass’; but if it doesn’t have a crystal structure, is solid; and does some glass transition on its way to liquidity a material has a technical claim to being ‘glass’ without necessarily overlapping much with the usual touchscreen-spec silicate glass.

It would be especially cheeky to be marketing one of the thermoplastics that exhibit glassy properties as ‘glass’ and superior to your competitor’s filthy ‘plastic’.

5 Likes

It’s easier to do that when the phone doesn’t cost $1400.

3 Likes
1 Like

Wasn’t there some kind of ultra-hard, scratch-and-crack-resistant synthetic sapphire that was supposed to have been standard-issue on smartphones by now? I’d much rather have that than a phone where you can bend the screen in half.

2 Likes
2 Likes

While these are useful in a workshop, they are just for measuring hardness of steel so the range is very narrow compared to the Mohs scale. For example every one of them will scratch glass.

4 Likes

Oh, right, I see they’re HRC 40-65. Good catch.

3 Likes

in my opinion, he only problem with the folding phone is that it does not unfold into a double wide screen. That would be really cool

1 Like

Agent 47 strikes again! Gotta love this guy.
Personally I think he’s channeling Bob Ross.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Pound pastrami, can kraut, six bagels – bring home for Emma.

1 Like

At least scratch it in graffiti…

2 Likes

Foldable glass. From the folk who brought you transparent aluminum.
Wrecking phones that I can’t afford makes me cringe. Anyway, as it sits in your pocket folded, it shouldn’t be subject to much scratching anyway. I tend to take good care of expensive gadgets.

3 Likes