Follow-up

If you had “less than a month” for “how long would it take for the now-raised-to-12foot4 bridge to take its first bite,” step up to collect your prize:

12 Likes

2 Likes

I don’t think that counts. The metal piece could have been anything. A beer can, maybe. I think the guy who runs that website is just wishfully thinking that they didn’t take his golden goose away when they raised the bridge.

It wasn’t the bridge. It was the lower warning bar that made contact.

The truck cruised under the bridge itself.

(I hope there’s not a lot of arguments that the warning bar is an unmovable object)

In that case, the sign indicating 12’4" clearance seems false and misleading somehow :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply- I know the Mormon mission is annoying but wow. Oh, what’s this, some background (wikipedia)

But their conduct here stamps their characters in their true colors. More than a year since, it was ascertained that they had been tampering with our slaves, and endeavoring to sow dissensions and raise seditions amongst them. Of this their “Mormon” leaders were informed, and they said they would deal with any of their members who should again in like case offend. But how spacious are appearances. In a late number of the Star, published in Independence by the leaders of the sect, there is an article inviting free Negroes and mulattoes from other states to become “Mormons,” and remove and settle among us. This exhibits them in still more odious colors. It manifests a desire on the part of their society, to inflict on our society an injury that they know would be to us entirely insupportable, and one of the surest means of driving us from the country; for it would require none of the supernatural gifts that they pretend to, to see that the introduction of such a caste among us would corrupt our blacks, and instigate them to bloodshed.

I see, makes perfect sense now.

1 Like

Oh for fuck sake.

7 Likes

Money beats righteousness every time. Le sigh. :confused:

2 Likes

The worst part of this is the precedent it sets. If you tweet something awful and/or offensive, and subsequently delete the tweet and apologize, then it means that no parties were injured by the original tweet. Legally speaking.

2 Likes
8 Likes

What’s next? Suing because there’s no ham in it? Or because it’s not made by someone from Hamburg?

3 Likes

FFS. I’m not even vaguely a vegetarian*, and I have no problem with a vegetable-based burger being called a burger. Why the ever-loving fuck do these asshats think that ag-gag laws are a good thing?

*I’ve had plenty of meatless (and sometimes vegan) meals, that I’ve eaten because I loved them.

4 Likes

An op-ed in which Nikki Haley explains that she didn’t understand what was wrong with the Confederate flag when she was Governor, doesn’t understand what’s wrong with it now, and doesn’t understand the criticism that has been aimed her way.

Also features some mild character assassination of Hilary Clinton, a swipe at “outrage culture,” some “child of immigrants” plaque-polishing, and verbiage of the “fine people on both sides” variety.

In short, an excellent effort from Haley to curry favor with people who would probably like to see her deported.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Where’s the 11’8" bridge when you need it!?

4 Likes

Description text is not long enough, it’s barely even an old 140 character tweet.

You leak our secrets? We’ll leak your book sales, speech fees – into our coffers: Uncle Sam wins royalties fight against Edward Snowden

1 Like

Regarding: US Health Care expenses and how health insurers want (and get) higher costs:

No out-of-pocket expense in this case, probably because the doctor’s office knows they’ll get their asses sued for unnecessary testing:

The news was her insurance company was mailing her family a check ― for more than $25,000 ― to cover some out-of-network lab tests. The actual bill was $28,395.50, but the doctor’s office said it would waive her portion of the bill: $2,530.26.

Note that the insurance company didn’t hesitate to cut a check for a completely overblown charge:

In this case, if the doctor had sent the throat swab off to LabCorp ― Kasdan’s in-network provider ― it would have billed her insurance company about $653 for “all the ordered tests, or an equivalent,” LabCorp told NPR.

You got that - a $27k markup for diagnostic tests.

Why would the health insurer pay more than they need to:

Even though Kasdan wasn’t stuck with this bill, practices like this run up the cost of medical care. Insurance companies base premiums on their expenses, and the more those rise the more participants have to pay.

9 Likes

6 Likes