Follow-up

Now that China has all but banned cryptocurrencies, GPU prices are falling like Bitcoin

3 Likes

Hyundai takes 80 per cent stake in terrifying Black Mirror robo-hound firm Boston Dynamics

1 Like

I’m sorry, but that is an incredibly anglocentric view. It’s exactly the same in Germany (I could even tell if someone in my class was catholic or protestant by their accent). It’s also the same in Norway. I am sure it’s the same in France, Italy, Spain and many other countries I have no direct experience of. Probably also on other continents but I can really only speak for Europe with any confidence.

1 Like

Definitely Italy, each town has its own dialect, heck, they were only 10KM apart, but the town i lived, and the other I worked in, their dialects were different enough to almost not be comprehensible to one another (they were definitely near incomprehensible to me).

1 Like

Then I agree with your statement that

unless we are talking about somewhere like Liechtenstein or Monaco

4 Likes

Or Iceland. There are Icelandic accents but only really two or three.

1 Like

screenshot27962_phixr

2 Likes

Sorry, mix up with the reply system. I used a reply to your post as a template to reply to the_borderer’s post (because that was in a closed thread that didn’t have quote functionality anymore). I changed out the username, reference number of the thread and of the post but it still registered as a reply to you somehow…

1 Like

I think English speaking people outside America are just, only now, beginning to realise that there are American accents beyond “the South”, new York, and West coast. I’m sure there are huge variations in single states and that we just can’t hear it
I’m sure also, that in part this is due to underlying differences in the English and non English speakers who colonised the places. You can hear or read differences in dialect in Ireland depending on underlying Irish/Scots/English influences.

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

In least-surprising follow-up news….

5 Likes

You perceive “New York” as one accent?

2 Likes

You could drill this down as low as you like.

“You perceive New York is one accent?”
“You think Queens is one accent?”
“You think the stretch of 167th Street between 82nd and the parkway is one accent?”

(Everyone knows that the closer you get to 82nd, the more pronounced the use of a voiceless alveolar fricative becomes, no pun intended).

4 Likes

Bitcoin doomed as a payment system and its novelty will fade, says Federal Reserve Board of Governors member

The United States doesn’t need a central bank digital currency (CBDC) because such a thing will not notably improve the nation’s financial system. And also, the US dollar isn’t threatened by digital currencies nor other nations’ CBDCs, so what’s the point?

So said Randal K Quarles, a member of the US Federal Reserve’s Board of Governors and its Vice Chair for Supervision, in a speech delivered on Monday to the 113th Annual Utah Bankers Association Convention.
[…]

1 Like

No more than I do Dublin. I just think there are a lot of generic “American” accents in non American produced media.

2 Likes

More convictions for war crimes in the Bosnian war…

12 Likes
10 Likes

Ugh - another case of leniency for the rich and famous. Her victims deserved better than this, based on reports about her level of cooperation and wording of her apology:

9 Likes

Well, that was quick.

5 Likes