Food reviewer really likes American cheese

You do if it’s a bacon sandwich.

8 Likes

I saw the picture and thought: Sheesh…another article about Trump?

6 Likes

Only if you don’t have any brown sauce available.

10 Likes

Or grilled cheese (though it needs to be made with actual cheese, not the processed stuff).

5 Likes

I’m about to make some brown sauce right now.

(And the thread devolves from here.)

8 Likes

Come January next year, our president might be that color.

4 Likes

We already have a topic for that.

6 Likes

I used to be a 'Merican cheese food snob, but I’ve come to realize it’s more a means to and end rather than a “proper” cheese. But the basic fact is it’s great at what it does: emulsification. Sure: roux, carefully balanced acids, egg, etc can help, but it’s hard to accomplish that super-gooeyness without it. That coupled with that it’s nearly tasteless, you can accomplish all sorts of flavors in your cheese sauce when it’s combined with other more flavorful cheeses.

6 Likes

Good American cheese (yes there are degrees of quality just like every other food product) is salty, tangy, and melts well on a burger or in-between two slices of enriched whitebread.

If I’m making burgers then American cheese is always in my top choices.

6 Likes

Exactly. Don’t come crying to me when your mac ‘n’ cheese has an oil slick on top because you didnt want to touch American cheese.

10 Likes

That’s what appenzellar is for.

2 Likes

Yes: cry into your separated mac n’ cheese instead.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at it, but I think President is basically the kraft cheese of brie.

Basically what I buy when I’m optimizing my brie in kg/$

10 Likes

It’s very sad real Brie cannot be bought in the US… :cry: The pasteurized stuff just isn’t the same.

2 Likes

You are dead to me.

4 Likes

It’s okay. You hardly notice once you put the ketchup on.

10 Likes
5 Likes

Absolutely. Not long ago a magazine surveyed a bunch of local ‘celebrity’ chefs about their perfect burgers. At least half of them said that Kraft Singles were the ideal burger cheese for its flavor and meltability. You’ve even got someone like Wylie Dufresne who makes his own Kraft Singles.

4 Likes

Does this mean Ronald Reagan hates America, or @actionabe hates America because he disagrees with Saint Ronnie?

2 Likes

That’s fuckin’ proper wrong that, like. Sausage sandwich, yes. Bacon? Ketchup or haddaway and shite.

5 Likes