For a brief moment I forgot this amazing 1975 Pontiac Firebird is a 1975 Pontiac Firebird

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/09/for-a-brief-moment-i-forgot-th.html

5 Likes

Apparently while driving the Firebird it was more important to know what time it was rather than RPM, oil pressure or gas.

9 Likes

Just make sure your old man is a television repairman with an ultimate set of tools so you can fix it.

5 Likes

How about the '77?

7 Likes

The Concours d’Lemons is one event that would feature this automobile because it’s a 1975 Firebird, not in spite of that fact. A couple years ago, they had over a dozen Cosworth Vegas show up!

8 Likes

Cue Rockford Files theme.

10 Likes

Also, nostalgia is a helluva drug. My own example:

This is the car I had as a teenager (1966 model year). There would be no sense whatsoever in my owning this car, yet I find myself fantasizing about it. It’s certainly a good thing that I don’t have loads of excess cash floating around.

6 Likes

I might be having a senior moment, but what fish?

I personally loved my Buck Rogers influenced 84 Berlinetta…

4 Likes

Gotta know if you’re running late to meet your probation officer.

10 Likes

My version, although my nostalgia is different: my dad’s car followed by my older brother’s and the one we all wish we hadn’t sold.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-40/

I had to stop following this site because it’s mostly torment.

3 Likes

I think the tachometer may have been an upgrade option. Back in the 80s I had a 78 T/A that had the tach in that position with an embedded tiny little clock in it. Oil pressure and water temp was always right in front of you in the center gauge. And fuel was easy, you just stopped to fill up at every gas station you saw thanks to the huge gas sucking secondary barrels on the Rochester Quadrajet.

OTOH, the externally mounted tachometer on the 1st gen Firebird hoods was a design decision head scratcher.

6 Likes

What time?
FIREBIRD TIME!
am’i’rite?

5 Likes

Mine was also handed down from my dad. He had gotten on a Rambler kick and owned a few over the years. He’s definitely not a trend-follower.

Oooh I like that a lot. I’ve never seen that before.

1 Like

It could be one wicked ride if you do some* upgrades.

*For large values of “some”.

2 Likes

You can bump up those anaemic numbers on a big-block with bits you can buy anywhere tho. Apropos sweet rides, I went to get a flat fixed today, only to be smitten, smitten, I say, by an absolutely cherry notchback Perana Capri in the next bay.

3 Likes

Plymouth Barracuda

2 Likes

I miss Jimbo.

3 Likes

I imagine this is what the inside of the Logan’s Run vehicles looked like.

4 Likes