For God, For Country, and For Yale: How top colleges figured out how to turn away Jews

Makes sense. I looked at census forms going back to 1930 and didnt find that as an official option but did find various articles on the topic or referring to the topic. W/o being able to cite the census directly I decided not to link to meta discussion.

Are you quite sure it’s the census?

This book suggests that “Hebrew” was used on immigration forms, and other surveys, but not on the census itself.

You may have meant to reply to @chgoliz

I did clarify.

You haven’t clarified or explained your position.

I think people have the right to live in their historic homelands, and to set up safe havens, but not to set up states. And the historic homelands of different groups almost always overlap. I don’t understand nationalism so this is hard to rewrite.

But nationalists who try to take sole control of the entire homeland of their people “without ceding an inch” almost always end up trying to “take [areas that are part of both groups historic homelands] from [neighboring groups].”

I gave several examples where the above has helped lead to war. Without clarification, I don’t know if that is your position, but the above is dangerous ultranationalism. If it helps cause wars it helps kill people and it is dangerous.

I wrote out another full explanation in case you missed the first, but it got eaten. Unreliable internet connection through monopolistic internet company, but that’s another story.

As I said above, it depended on who filled out the census form; there doesn’t seem to be any consistency, but I’ve definitely seen census forms with “Hebrew” as the race.

But yes, it’s also on a lot of immigration forms.

Ah, perhaps the book was oriented towards researchers who need consistency in their data. If it was left to the discretion of the census taker, the absence of “Hebrews” cannot be indicative of the absence of Jewish residents.

1 Like

At face value that boils down to “Sorry Jews but it sucks to be you” in this case. Or really sucks to be anyone who didnt already set up a nation state before some arbitrary date which you haven’t let us know of. I guess its a good deal for colonialist powers though. Should then large swathes of Africa and the Middle East be given back to various Great Powers of Europe? What right do those people have to their own nation states by this pronouncement? Or did I get the cutoff date wrong?

Obviously the above is not only rhetorical but reducto ad absurdum. The question of who has the right to self rule has no real cut and dried answer that satisfies everyone. There isn’t a logic flow diagram which can account for all the variances of historical and present day conditions to arrive at a de jure condition so the reality is often the de facto condition. The nation states which were once Yugoslavia but are now a group of nation states representing different peoples is a recent example of balancing out the de facto and de jure whereas the partition of the nation state, former colony, former kingdom of Korea is more properly in the de facto category. You may not understand nationalism, but at least try to understand history.

Now as for clarifying my position, I did mention that there are paradoxes between the secular and theological aspects. The secular aspect of classical Zionism which I adhere to is the simple right of self rule in the historical homeland as outlined by Theodore Hertlz. While you do not agree to this principle, at least understand that it exists and that Jews are hardly alone in this, it presents itself as a general trend of people and history. This part is simple.

The theological aspects are a bit more nuanced. First off Jews are divinely commanded to take and settle the land of Israel (roughly parallel to the borders of the existing nation state including the area up to the Jordan). Similarly we are bound to defend this land, thus “not cede an inch”. We are furthermore commanded to govern ourselves in this land as a kingdom under Torah law.

It may help clarify your understanding that in the case of Jews, what looks like religion is often a matter of contract law between a specific people and God, thats how we see things so here when I say “commanded” for us that means the equivalent of bound by contract.

The theological aspect does recognize that the kingdoms of Judea and Israel fell and that we as a people ended up in exile with our historical homeland ruled by foreign empires. This does not invalidate the Divine contract that the land of Israel in the biblical sense is still ours, but rather that we did not fulfill our end of the contract and thus have been temporarily “locked out” (vast oversimplification). We understand that a time will come again when a Jewish king will return and restore the proper conditions of return of the people to the land, ejecting any foreign empires which rule of the land and restore self rule by Torah law. Obviously this has not happened and thus theologically we are not to setup a State of our own in the land of Israel however we are still commanded to dwell in the land and the various commandments which are conditional upon dwelling in the land regardless of who rules over it be it a secular State of Jews or a foreign empire, or as the present reality is, a bit of both.

Please understand I’ve left out quite a bit, there are volumes upon volumes written on this matter in various languages and I’ve tried to stick only to the highlights as this BBS isn’t the place to get into the finer details of Torah or rabbinic law. You may not personally understand that others see things in the way that I describe but at least accept that it is a reality that others do see things this way. As I mentioned before there are seeming paradoxes here, however for those like me who enjoy Talmudics, being able to hold seemingly contradictory ideas on their own merit and find the practical balance is quite usual.

1 Like

I am against states, and against nation-states [not just after some arbitrary cut-off date], and against exclusive territorial claims which breed conflict and war.

2 Likes

You might as well be against sunshine and rain. Even as a self described autistic anarchist pacifist, you can’t really deny the fact that nation states exist and that groups of people with a shared history, ethnic or other historical connection have an urge towards and a trend to act towards self rule. Things exist whether they meet our ideals or not and I have to wonder what your anarchist pacifist position says about when someone comes to do violence to you, say perhaps due to you identifying as a trans woman? Turning swords into plowshares is the ideal but we aren’t there yet.

I think your conception of nationalism elides over a certain practical messiness.

Sorry, you can’t be Cornish. But you can be English.
Sorry, you can’t be Scottish. But you can be British
Sorry, you can’t be Catalan. But you can be Spanish
Sorry, you can’t be Breton. But you can be French.

If the minority is lucky, there’s merely a slow loss of identity. If unlucky, various forms of violence and what we would now call “Crimes against Humanity”. As a political idea, nationalism is flawed.

4 Likes

Indeed the practical matters are messy. I’d hoped to convey that very point with the paragraph following the one you quoted. As to your examples, not every group either wishes to or manages to achieve self rule, life is messy and there is no clear flowchart. Perhaps Jews really are unlucky in this regard but despite empire after empire trying to dispel us of the idea of maintaining identity, we still do so, even the vehemently secular Jews. I guess you could say we prefer to be unlucky to being a footnote of history.

As for nationalism being flawed, well what political idea isn’t? Since the word could mean different things to different people, for example:

patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts.
• an extreme form of this, esp. marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries.
• advocacy of political independence for a particular country.

Some will object to all of that definition, that any feeling of patriotism is “bad”. The first bullet point certainly tends towards xenophobia which can lead to “bad things” but as a mere idea, it like all other ideas merely exists. The second bullet point is probably more closely to what we are discussing here and this can be “bad” or “good” or a mere fact but of course the practicality or even the analysis can be messy.

Scotland is a nation on its own yet it is part of a confederation. It has historically resisted this idea by means of war and more recently by means of ballot but did not succeed either way. Both the de facto and de jure aspects exist in theory and fact. Things worked differently more recently for the Croats and Kosovars. I could go on but I think here and before I was pretty clear that I recognize the practical messiness of the situation.

1 Like

To return more closely to the subject of the article… This is exactly what Silicon Valley companies do today, when they ask in interviews about your hobbies and then don’t hire you because you “weren’t a good fit for the company culture.” See, if hiring people based not on their job skills, but on whether they want to go work out together at the Cross Fit gym, ski Tahoe, drink craft beer, and eat paleo turns your workplace into one that’s 95% male, only 2% black or Latino, and entirely under 35… well who can blame them for wanting someone who fits the culture, bro? That’s not discrimination, that’s building a good team!

4 Likes

And entirely abled, too. Just ask yourself how those questions affect someone with various physical disabilities, dietary requirements, socia disabilities, and so on.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.