For sale: incredible double geodesic dome home with two inside slides, putting green, monkey bars, and secret passage

7 Likes

Our family’s 15 minutes of fame is an Australian newspaper article posted to our cork bulletin board that I would see every morning as I was pouring myself a bowl of Cap’n Crunch or Trix. The article featured a photograph of my Uncle Bill pointing to a half-ball shaped geodesic dome with the headline, “The House Bill Built is Round”. Incidentally, I helped him form up a few triangular panels for his Canyon City dome house he built 50 years later. No shag carpet this time around.

11 Likes

Could be worse. On 17 Feb 2021, this mansiion was briefly listed for 19,888,888.

2 Likes

I think the 8s (instead of 9s) signify a clearance sale.

4 Likes

But is it final, fiinal, clearance?

3 Likes

Christ, that’s alarming.

3 Likes

For the thick end of 20 mill, I’d rather buy a nice house in Paris that looks like what that’s trying and failing to emulate and just keep the change for inevitable repairs.

3 Likes

I am experiencing an intense feeling of saudade with this listing. I was born in 1978 and a combination of growing up as nerdy computer and science fan (as many of us did) this place evokes a longing for a combination of science exploratorium museum, MECC software, those parents of your friend from school that were successful professionals, and youthful optimisim that your living surroundings were there to foster intelligent living and dialog.

The 3 million price point certainly underlines the actual cost of owning that kind of surroundings. :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Love the radiation hazard layout of the windows. :radioactive:

+1 for saudade

4 Likes

Over and above the interesting factor of the geodesic dome construction… I have to say, it’s a really nice house. The people who live there have great taste. AND, there is a SECRET DOOR and a SLIDE!

9 Likes
4 Likes

Everything I know I learned from someone that was in Bauhaus, or within 4 degrees of separation (Bill Nelson and Mick Karn help out a lot with that)_

3 Likes

Tralfamadore is beautiful this time of the year.

8 Likes

Given the acoustics, it will be bought by a family who will never keep any secrets from each other for very long.

1 Like

That was my first thought, too! “I’d really want to see the utility bill history before thinking I could afford this thing.”

(And to be clear, I could not afford this thing. But I would love to live in a house like this!)

1 Like

It should be great for direct or indirect heating:

2 Likes

Ha!
I was thinking, given the surface area to volume ratio, if they’re actually using most of the space, it should be more efficient to heat/cool than a rectangular home.
The grill also reminds me of my long held dream to buy a water tower and turn it into a living space. So many things to do…

6 Likes

You might enjoy the water tower episode of Grand Designs. The scale of the project is crazy and the sums of money involved are breathtaking. I think the result is pretty special, though like a lot of the homes featured on Grand Designs, it’s definitely a monument to excess.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.