Ford police SUV heats its interior to 133 degrees to kill COVID-19

That Newsweek article is really bad. Despite the headline of “Coronavirus Can Survive High Temperatures for Long Periods, Study Finds” that is not what the study found. Their source is an unreviewed article that found that all temperatures they tested (which was 56° C and above) killed at least 99999 in 100000 viruses. Another study that has been peer reviewed found high heat for even 5 minutes is effective at killing Sars-Cov-2. So heat is definitely part of effective prevention.

8 Likes

This article just really makes me want a sauna. My sore bones would really enjoy that about now.

2 Likes

In some US states you just park your car and it will easily get to 133F on its own during the summer

9 Likes

Perfect! We’re all set.

5 Likes

The inside of my old truck hits 150 degrees Fahrenheit on a not particularly hot spring day in Florida. And here I thought Mother Nature was trying to kill me, little did I know it was for my own good…

3 Likes

promising technology. how hot does it need to get to kill toxic masculinity, systemic oppression, and deeply ingrained racism?

8 Likes

But that’s hot enough for nachos - just sayin’

2 Likes

But what’s Ford’s cut of that $0 price tag?

1 Like

Probably ruins leather and vinyl. But cloth seats are a bad idea for a police cruiser due to the constancy of human fluids being spread therein.

1 Like

You don’t have a constitutional right to not be roasted alive, so this falls squarely under qualified immunity.

2 Likes

Do they make a version for seniors?

4 Likes

There are a lot of things someone detained in the back of a cruiser might want to do, that are undesirable from the perspective of the police. That’s why the back seats typically are featureless hard plastic.

1 Like

I hope they hardwire some passenger detection routine into the equipment. You know some cop somewhere is going to “accidentally” leave a prisoner in there and cycle it.

Yeah, except it’s a cop car. It smells like feet, rancid sweat, and vomit.

Yep, I read this as “leave any car in the summer sun, and bingo, no viruses inside”.

(inland So. Cal is getting similar temps.)

2 Likes

Good lord @lastchance! If those are Springtime temperatures what is Summer gong to be like?

1 Like

Hmm  

1 Like

In that circumstance, I’d hope for a better way of heating the car, which doesn’t involve running the engine for 15 mins.

3 Likes

And a not quite so good one about how to roast pork.

Sadly those are not viruses. Not nature, but nurture.

2 Likes