Gentleman roasts pork on car during Australia heat crisis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/gentleman-successfully-roasts.html

2 Likes

Nice. Cooking with 100% renewable energy.

10 Likes

Downunder, is burning.

9 Likes

Now we’re cooking without gas!

13 Likes

Nothing says Aussie like making the best of a bad situation

5 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me. I live in south Texas and I used to drive a dark brown Ford Aerostar. Dark color, lots of glass so lots of greenhouse effect. Darn thing was a Dutch oven on wheels.

6 Likes

How can we dance while the spits are turning?
Don’t go to sleep 'cause the bacon’s burning.

22 Likes

The fact that he discussed cooking a quiche really made me a giggle; it just seems such a fancy foodstuff for such a gentleman to consider.

They’ve got medicine for that now, right?

4 Likes

Talcum powder.

2 Likes

Crikey, I’m glad I got that Rosemary air freshener!

5 Likes

“a guy roasted some tasty pork on the roof of his Datsun”

“Stu Pengelly placed the slab of pork in a baking tin on the car seat of his red Datsun”

So… in Australia do they refer to the roof as the “car seat”? Or do they typically put their car seats on the roof? Damn you, BoingBoing!

2 Likes

“Gentlemen roasts overcooks pork on car during Australia heat crisis.”

Next time, take it off the cooker an hour or two earlier for fully cooked but tender roast pork.

1 Like

He cooked it inside the car, not on the roof. Small but crucial difference as it shows how hot it gets inside the car, not in direct sunlight.

1 Like

No the summary should say in the car.

Just over 40 degrees © in the shade down south today. Balmy. I do recall, however, it getting regularly over the ton when I was a kid. At least these days we have aircon.

Dat sun, its hot enough to cook pork…

1 Like

Yep. Forecast for downtown Yarrawonga is 41c today and 45c tomorrow (Friday). Christmas Day forecast is 36c (great for a Christmas roast), but summer really doesn’t get underway until January.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a trip to Palo Duro Canyon a few years ago. All over the park they have stands that hold up big dial-face thermometers, so the hikers can tell how close to death they are. I pulled into a parking area that had such stands on both sides. On the side where the stand was shaded by a mesquite tree, the temperature was 97 F. On the sunny side, I couldn’t tell what the temperature was because the needle on the thermometer was pegged at 120.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.