Nebraska Weather Service commemorates climate emergency by baking biscuits inside a hot car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/22/imperator-mrs-fields.html

4 Likes

Also, “biscuit” in Nebraska doesn’t mean “cookie.”

16 Likes

A sunroof might have helped get that extra bit of crispy.

5 Likes

Wow, that really burns my biscuits.

9 Likes

Every year, some TV station or other tries to fry eggs on the Phoenix pavement. Never works, doesn’t even get up to poaching temps. In the auto version, they could have improved their chances by putting a modest bit of insulation under the tray and (probably a cheat) tinfoil on all of the windows but the front.

Or, of course, they could have used pets or children. That would have worked, people do it all the time.

3 Likes

15 Likes

185F is too cold to properly bake a biscuit. You need to get to at least 285F to get some browning.

If you want to properly cook something in a car you need to put it on the exhaust header.

With cookies you can kind of cheat by just leaving them in there long enough to dry out the dough. Cookie dough is already highly flavored so you’re not missing much. Biscuits are just going to suck though.

4 Likes

In view of the present heat wave and given a lack of baking ingredients, people would still have to consider the condition of their “biscuits” and “cookies”.

BTW: This is the second time in the past few days that I’ve had the opportunity to mention “biscuits”. And not even on the ‘Mutant Food’ thread.

1 Like

I doubt it. Do you know how long it takes to properly cook a child at those temperatures? It’d take the better part of a week of car-cooking, given their weight. Even a very small child would take a couple days.

3 Likes

That applies to pretty much anywhere in the US.

3 Likes

NWS stands for National Weather Service. It’s a federal agency.

@ NWSOmaha

Official Twitter account for the National Weather Service in Omaha/Valley Nebraska. Details: http://goo.gl/C9g6i

7 Likes

Thank you Mr Swift. Your helpful hints, as always, are welcome here.

6 Likes

a modest proposal: let’s not

I mean sure, you could do it in a couple hours if you don’t mind eating your children raw, like some kind of savage

4 Likes

1 Like

I wish, but it’s so common that it doesn’t even make news any more. (I hope the sarcasm tags would have been redundant, but now I’m starting to wonder.)

In the UK biscuits are what Americans call cookies - the article reads like it was written by a Brit. I don’t think there’s a UK equivalent to an American biscuit. They’re made with low-gluten flour and butter, and are like soft little cakes which break apart easily. They’re perfect when still warm, with butter and American jelly - which I think is called jam or preserves in the UK, but is differentiated from jam or preserves in the US because the solid bits have been strained out. British jelly is called aspic in the U.S.

Biscuits and jelly in the US is delightful, biscuits and jelly in the UK would be a fairly horrifying dish.

You can bake biscuits or cookies on your dashboard easily, but they need to be in a box with a glass lid which keeps the hot air in, rather than open to the air in the rest of the car.

No way, y’all. A succulent Southern biscuit needs 350 to 450 degrees to rise and cook.

I would love to know if lentils can be cooked in a black Mason jar on a dashboard. If so, this would make homeless peoples’ and travelers’ lives a little easier. Throw in a clove of garlic, some curry or chili powder, and voila!

185F is enough to sous vide many savory proteins

It’s pretty close to the perfect poached egg temperature (167F), but the problem is that sous vide cooking relies a lot on perfectly controlling the temperature, and your car windshield is not set up to do that. Even 1 or 2 degree differences in either direction can ruin a recipe.