Australia just had hottest day in recorded history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/australia-experiences-hottest-2.html

104º F/40.9º C average across country

4 Likes

Australia, go’n send ice cubes, lots.

2 Likes

I just finished reading Perihelion Summer, which is set in an Australia that has become uninhabitable all of a sudden. Rather strange reading the book while reading about bushfires and extreme heat across the continent. Highly recommended.

8 Likes

So, where’s everybody flying for Christmas?

1 Like

Hmm - could always get worse…

http://umlconnector.com/wp-content/uploads/mad-max-2-road-warrior-img3.jpg

9 Likes

Hold on, I’ll check the weather app.

Oh. Can confirm.

(Note - I live in one of the milder areas)

18 Likes

Holy fuck, mate. Stay safe.

6 Likes

This is the first time I have ever used the word “Crikey!” as an exclamation.

5 Likes

You can have some of my gray wet of the Pacific Northwest.

3 Likes

Probably my favorite science fiction author – it’s amazing that’s he’s nearly unknown in the US.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. We’re all ok and indoors with the swamp cooler going, but we are seriously fucking angry. The real folks to worry about are those that have to be outside today, including those fighting bushfires in 40c heat.

My wife is a volunteer councillor for the Victorian (again, volunteer) fire brigade - we used to both be operational members when we lived country - and she’s already had way more calls and sessions with members having a tough time than last year’s whole season (which ends in March/April…). The fire season now overlaps with the Californian season, which means it’s becoming harder to share major equipment like helicopter tankers, and most of my old brigade mates are looking tired and it’s only December.

The country’s on fucking fire and the season’s not even half-way through. We’ve also got serious drought that’s driving a sharp spike in suicides in regional Aus, yet our climate-change denying PM is having a fucking holiday in Hawaii.

Fury doesn’t begin to describe how we’re feeling.

28 Likes

We’re watching in horror. Things are moving disturbingly fast, and in the wrong direction.

7 Likes

Though I do wish the Old Greg Egan would come back.

1 Like

Meanwhile, down in Tasmania…

This place is likely to get crowded in a few years.

9 Likes

Hey, steady on there, mate. I’ll have you know that Lord Humungus offers strong and stable government!

6 Likes

NSW has been so apocalyptic, I’m so indescribably furious at Liberal party voters (note: “Liberal” has the opposite connotation in Australia to the US). We’re moving to Tasmania, have been planning it for some time, but now I wonder if we’ll even be able to sell our current Blue Mountains house. It’s heart breaking.
Australia has been so appalling to refugees for so long, there’s a certain elegant symmetry in the fact that Australians will have to become refugees ourselves to survive coming decades. Poetic justice.

14 Likes

Tangentially, how is New Zealand doing? I assume since they’re a (relatively) small island in the middle of ocean, and more southern than Australia, things aren’t nowhere nearly as hot and combustible there.

2 Likes

Cheers! Maybe send us back our holidaying PM too so he can do his fucking job instead of pissing about in Hawaii.
On second thought, you can keep the useless dickhead. No backsies.

They’re dealing with an active volcano.

9 Likes

Yeah he lost his way around Clockwork Rocket IMO.

some guy in perth roasted a pork joint in the car which was something like 170 plus degrees

2 Likes