Australia experiences hottest month in its history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/australia-experiences-hottest.html

6 Likes

tumblr_m8t67nwrcY1qg39ewo1_500

12 Likes

You have to hand it to China and to climate scientists: when they perpetrate a hoax for economic gain, they go all-out.

37 Likes

Is this an example of what Trump would call global waming?

Corrected — I misspelled “waming.”

11 Likes

Giant mirrors in space, deflecting heat that should have gone to USA into Australia instead. Oldest trick in the book.

18 Likes

This can’t actually be real. Our provincial president, who, like other Republicans, is fucking incapable of understanding that there are other people in the world who are thinking or experiencing something he is not personally experiencing, personally assured us that global warming is hooey through his well-known brand of “wit” of making fun of something he doesn’t understand.

11 Likes

Australia recorded its hottest month ever in January

Wow. Imagine how hot it’s going to get in the summer!

16 Likes

Fake continent?

8 Likes

mad-max-roadwarrior-max-chewing

11 Likes

Fake 'roos.

5 Likes

Perhaps a kickstarter to send POTUS to the outback?

The actual outback, not the steakhouse.

4 Likes

w7LVD

20 Likes

Finally something noxious enough to curtail the Cain Toads a bit.

3 Likes

Strange Days:

My wife and I were discussing last night where to move to best live out this climate change. Such an odd thing to even come up. Where to go where it’s not going to get too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, or flooded? Goldilocks choices for living in the extremes.

7 Likes

Or too crowded.

Also, 21 deaths out of 90-million people effected doesn’t seem like an insane number. Is there data that lists how many people die from exposure each year, as well as the number of people effected by the extreme temperatures in the respective years, so we can see if there’s an actual increase in the trend?

Were the people who died in their homes, minding their own business, or were they out in the weather? Were they homeless (or are they even including deaths of the homeless)?

I could ask Google, but beyond that I’m not much of a researcher.

I’m not saying that as a way to argue against climate change; I’ve never had trouble believing it’s happening. What I have trouble believing is that people with the power to do something about it ever will.

7 Likes

And far away from where every other person is going to move to.

Every so often I think I should own a nice little plot of land in New Hampshire or upstate New York, where I could live out the Troubles on a tiny communal farm. Then I recall that I’d be 3 hours from 4.5 million Bostonians, and 5 hours away from 10 million people living in or near NYC…

Of course, we could find something in the middle of the country, but then it would be officially a “crazy prepper house” and not a “long-weekend country cabin.”

3 Likes

12 Likes

Might I recommend the Great Lakes. I’m partial to Cleveland because of the combination of low cost currently and low flood risk in the future. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/20/science/9-cities-to-live-in-if-youre-worried-about-climate-change.html

1 Like

what if this is the last mostly decent decade for weather

are the ultra weathy just going to start building indoor cities like malls where they never have to step outside and everything is climate controlled?

2 Likes

Unfortunately this is true of the current Australian leadership as well. We are addicted to coal mining in this country.

@Sludge

send POTUS to the outback?

Some years back we had some Chinese customers at our site, and during the Christmas break they proposed renting a car in Alice Springs and driving north west to the Kimberley. Its a couple of thousand kilometers of dirt roads, with deep sand, flooded river crossings, and zero cell phone coverage. We didn’t want our customers to die so we suggested alternatives.

But POTUS is obviously a man who can look out for himself. I think he is the guy to take it on.

4 Likes