September's global temperature data: "Absolutely gobsmackingly bananas"

Originally published at: September's global temperature data: "Absolutely gobsmackingly bananas" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Stopping the apocalypse is woke

EDIT: /s for those that require it

11 Likes

decisions don't be a dick GIF

If it is too hot for you to decide, guess why.

15 Likes

Indeed; as in WAKE THE FUCK UP.

17 Likes

That indutrial revolution really did a number on us.

7 Likes

If anyone can look at that graph and not realize we are in a hell of a mess, I have nothing that I can offer…

14 Likes

It-feels-like-a-hot-fart-outside-all-the-time GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 Likes

Doc, it was freakin’ 86 degrees last night when I left my PT session at 7pm.

It’s OCTOBER.

:astonished:

12 Likes

And you’re in an area that typically runs cooler than us south of you. We were running 10 degrees lower than you at 7 pm. That’s insane. Is summer officially August through November for California?

8 Likes

Exactly.

8 Likes

“It’s El Nino.” “It’s Hunga Tonga.” “It’s sulphur-limiting regulations.” Sure, these all have the effect of raising temperature. But these dismissals miss the larger point: that the underlying conditions are the reason these forcings are able to create record temperatures.

10 Likes

Climate scientists: “It’s vitally important that we keep global temperature increases below 1.5C.”
Global leaders (eventually): “Yeah, okay, whatever, sure. We’ll jump right on that… in a couple years.”
Reality: “Ha ha, too late!”
Mental health professionals, the last decade: “I wonder why we’ve had so many climate scientists as patients suffering severe depression and anxiety… oh, now I get it.”

And now I’m reading that changes to the ice shelf around Antarctica mean that the glaciers are now free to slide into the ocean, which could raise global sea levels by three meters in less than ten years. Every coastal city would be flooded. Literally the entire country of Bangladesh (pop. 170 million) would be underwater. Given the time scale involved, no one is going to be able to put up defenses against the sea. We’re looking at more than half-a-billion people being displaced.

Just got a heat advisory for the next three days (for pretty much the whole Bay Area).

In OCTOBER.

14 Likes

These all miss the bigger picture. El Nino/La Nina cycles have happened repeatedly, volcanoes erupting is hardly a new thing, and the sulfur regs have minimal overall impact. This delta is HUGE. None of the things cited have that kind of effect. I have mentioned before that my brother used to work at NRL in DC, and they came to the conclusion that we had passed a tipping point in the 90’s, and would see accelerating warming from there on. Current findings would suggest they nailed it 30+ years ago.

19 Likes

Well…

that’s not good

4 Likes

Counterpoint: Won’t someone think of shareholder value??

I read somebody’s lament somewhere recently that went along the lines of, “We’ll be the first society that goes extinct not because nothing could be done, but because it felt like it would cost too much.”

12 Likes

We’ll be the first society to go extinct because the rich have deliberately killed us all through greed.

12 Likes

This is the time in the beforetime book or movie when the protagonists get together and develop a technology to fix all this, perhaps with countries working together. Maybe a big space umbrella to cool us down by 4 degrees centigrade. And then we live happily ever after.

4 Likes

Not to mention that the models have been for the most part too conservative in their projections. Reality is lapping them. We don’t have as much time as we thought we did.

9 Likes

As I said in a similar post a few months ago (and was told I was spreading lies for saying it), it’s entirely possible that we’ve already crossed an inflection point and it’s too late to save ourselves. It also might not be too late, and we should certainly try, but my point is that we should have shifted into “OMG WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE IF WE DON’T DO SOMETHING RIGHT FUCKING NOW” mode at least 25 years ago, maybe 50, and yet we’re still arguing about whether or not this is even real. Even if it’s not too late, we still have a lot of work to do to convince even the sympathetic powers that be, never mind the opposition, that this is a “drop everything else because it won’t matter if we don’t fix this” level emergency.

12 Likes

Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

5 Likes