September's global temperature data: "Absolutely gobsmackingly bananas"

No, not really. There is a minority defending their selfish interests by lying about it (see: tobacco, lead, asbestos, etc) on a much larger scale. There is no argument about the reality among the reality-based community, just how fucked are we, and how much time do we have to mitigate? And the answer is always more than we thought and less than we thought, respectively. Regardless, we gotta get to it to save as much as we can.

12 Likes

Fair enough, but there is arguing about whether this is real among the decision makers who control our ability to do something about the problem. Granted, the arguing is partly performative, but it still prevents us from making progress.

9 Likes

See Rishi Sunak’s announcements fuckwittery in recent weeks.

3 Likes

As Sam Neill’s Russian captain said as their own torpedo closed on them in The Hunt For Red October: “You arrogant ass. You’ve killed us!”

6 Likes

… it’s a slippery slope from crank up those smokestacks, boys, to the monster soot planes in “The Animatrix”

6 Likes

You got the quote and the movie, but Sam Neill wasn’t a captain, and it was the bad Russian captain’s XO that said it :wink:

but in this context, and just like Neill’s character, I, too, would have liked to have seen Montana before the end.

8 Likes

Montana in Pictures: 18 Beautiful Places to Photograph | PlanetWare

3 Likes

Thank you. Now I can die happy :hugs:

3 Likes

Indeed, or, if I may be so bold, this is a “animal chews its own leg off to escape a trap” level emergency.

I know it’s unwise to panic, but the path from here to safety will be painful, my condolences to those who get held up in traffic.

9 Likes

And Republicans are denying this is even happening, and blocking even the modest measures that are proposed to mitigate this.

You have to hand it to China. When they perpetrate a hoax they don’t mess around.

It’s been grimly fascinating watching as that red-line target number and the deadline date have shifted upwards and forwards as the politicians took it over from the scientists.

4 Likes

Just another anecdata point: it will be early to mid 20s for the next few days.

On an island in the North Atlantic. In October….

Yesterday I stepped out of the building at lunchtime and there was a warm humid wind blowing. From the North.

That does not compute. We get predominantly South Westerly winds. They are warm and wet and make the island habitable as they come from the Gulf of Mexico thousands of (unit of measurements) away. North is hot and dry if we get it in the summer and a high pressure over Scandinavia etc. cold any other time, and dry. When it hits our normal ■■■■■ south westerly prevailing wind in the winter is when we get snow (rarely. The wind is never from the North).

If the Gulf Stream fails, and many models predict it will soon, the island will become difficult to live in.
But yeah, more cows! More sheep! More deforestation! Burn the bogs! More giant data centres! Still no more offshore wind farms! More concrete! More cars!

8 Likes

It’s 18 or 19°C today, here in the UK Midlands.

It feels wrong.

(It is very wrong.)

5 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

7 Likes

And as we blow past the targets with a backwards wave, I expect more politicians will just respond with, “Oh well, I guess there’s no point now.” (Like the current UK conservative government.)

3 Likes

Just had a heat advisory for the three day long weekend, in Sydney, Australia

In OCTOBER.

Australia shares a few fire-fighting helicopters with USA and Canada and also does a few crew exchanges for training purposes. The idea is that rather than lying idle during winter, we just ship the equipment to the other hemisphere’s summer. Doesn’t work so well when we need the choppers back before you Northerners are finished with them.

7 Likes

acting brie larson GIF by Film4

Captain Obvious has left the building. It is time for Captain Marvel to kick our ass.

6 Likes

Everything will be so much more efficient when everyone will be using their firefighting helicopters year-round!

4 Likes

This is fine.

3 Likes

This American would like to offer you a warm winter coat, which we no longer seem to need. (/s)

1 Like

No thanks, that’s 22°Celsius, with a warm breeze. I haven’t needed a coat since, well, last week, actually, but the week before that I needed air conditioning for three days, but on one day, a blanket…

Our weather here is broken. :pleading_face:

6 Likes