Former Donkey Kong champion sues scorekeeping website for removing his records

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/former-donkey-kong-champion-su.html

3 Likes

Let’s not forget this brilliant moment from Billy also

9 Likes

OMG, that’s not a hoodie. That’s his actual hair. :open_mouth:

12 Likes
4 Likes

We’ve got a defamation lawsuit coming up if anybody wants to watch.

3 Likes

The entire world is going to Hell in a handbasket, and this guy decides NOW IS THE TIME. WTF!?

2 Likes

Fortunately California has one of the country’s strongest anti-SLAPP statutes. Hopefully the judge will recognize that this is an attempt to compel speech from Twin Galaxies and dismiss it while recognizing that the technical question of emulators is immaterial to the legal merit of the lawsuit.

6 Likes

I was thinking of the same episode, especially this line putting George’s accomplishment in perspective.

(Though FWIW apparently Mitchell does actually have a wife and children, somehow.)

8 Likes

this guy has no shame. I went to Indy Popcon last year and he was there - not as a special guest doing a signing or anything but just standing around near some arcade games.

3 Likes

Well, no. He decided April 2019 was the time.

2 Likes

Sometimes I look in the mirror and think “this is my life? I could have been so much more.”

That’s me talkin’, not me projecting what he sees in the mirror. I have no idea what he sees/thinks. Frankly I don’t wanna know. But I’m sure glad I don’t see his weird visage staring back at me, and count “high score in Donkey Kong” as one of my most prized life achievements.

2 Likes

Even if the technical aspects of emulation were material to the case, their rules are pretty clear that you need to play on actual hardware.

6 Likes

Agreed, but if they were material, it would have to be settled by letting the lawsuit proceed since it wouldn’t fall under the anti-SLAPP statute, and that would allow this twit to accomplish what his performative lawsuit is designed to do, cost Twin Galaxies a lot more money in an effort to chill their First Amendment right against compelled speech.

4 Likes

“The defence calls Mr. Mario to the stand.”

4 Likes

I was hoping it was a wig, but then I saw that he lives in Florida.

1 Like

This guy…
I know the brother of the guy who was the object of the movie “King of Kong”.
He told me that they actually had to edit it to make Mitchell look like LESS of a dick because they were afraid no one would believe he was such a dick…

8 Likes

I fell down a rabbit hole about this guy. He needs to go find a new hobby. No one believes his BS any more.

3 Likes

Deliberately, ya think?

screw-you-kong

2 Likes

So much this. I guess in this regard I can thank Billy for helping me not have a midlife crisis and to be mostly happy with the weird life I have.

2 Likes