Former employee of a trendy Santa Monica "farm to door" meat shop shows us what they really sell

As far as fruits and vegetables go, that’s been a thing for quite some time. In another life, I worked as the produce guy for a large chain and off season stuff would come from all over, including VERY far away.
Generally it was in the form of apples, stone fruit, berries and as you noted, citrus. Particularly navel oranges, because people prefer those for eating over the spring/summer valencias that have seeds.
The green stuff was pretty much always from the central coast, but sometimes southern CA or AZ (usually lettuce).
As for the butcher shop in question, it sucks when someone breaks the trust of a community. We have a local butcher I buy from sometimes and they break down whole animals on site they get from Southern CA farms that are specifically called out on their website. They have been pretty transparent with who their vendors are up to and including inviting people to see how the whole hogs or cows are butchered for sale with representatives from said farms. They also do not charge 50 bucks/pound for beef of any kind. I think the most I have paid was like 25 or 30 for ribeyes. Which is a lot, but not something we eat often at all.

4 Likes

The article says different.

but yes Tasmania

1 Like

Oops, it is indeed Tasmania and not Tanzania! I will correct that right now. Thank you!

1 Like

Sorry I tend to believe everything BoingBoing tells me. That is why I have so many DNA tests and WiFi enabled air conditioners…

9 Likes

Sure but the very first thing in the post a a photo with Tasmania blazoned across it. And the comments already include people discussing the discrepancy and @Mister44 physically re-posting the photo.

1 Like

Just a few bad apples?

And, in a sense, when deceived, they are getting they’re money’s worth.
They can’t tell the difference. They feel personal satisfaction at receiving a superior product. The person who wrecks it all is this goddang whistleblower and those meddling kids!

1 Like

Here, for the stuff we buy, it was due to laying off all the help at the butcher/processing facilities that the small, local farmers use. Then not being able to get them back for a while. Farmers at the weekend market kept running out of stuff, and said they had more but couldn’t get it processed. I’m kind of surprised the game processing network didn’t step up, but I’m unfamiliar with that whole landscape, so :woman_shrugging:t2:

We try to buy mainly local, mainly organic, but I don’t always think I’m getting superior products. I do it to support the economy I want to see in our state, because I want land to remain productive and not be pillaged and/or paved and built on. We’re not rich, but we’re fortunate to be able to base our buying decision on something other than price, so we do.

Came back to add: and this is why the fraud exposed here would royally piss me off. If you don’t have the product, I’ll get something else, still ideally supporting local growers. But don’t effing lie to me.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.