Former housekeeper sues Bezos — claims she was forced to eat in the laundry room and work 14 hour shifts

Originally published at: Former housekeeper sues Bezos — claims she was forced to eat in the laundry room and work 14 hour shifts | Boing Boing

2 Likes

A billionaire is an asshole to his employee?!? He exploited them for his own benefit!?! FAKE NEWS!!! /s

Marc Maron Rage GIF by IFC

22 Likes

That list reads like an Amazon fulfilment centre employee’s handbook.

17 Likes

Seemed familiar. Nice to see Yahoo! still keeps a keen eye on recent events.

12 Likes

The bathroom thing surprises me. Every time I see something about mansions the sheer number of bathrooms amazes me. Like double digit bathrooms. You could go a week and never use the same bathroom twice. Why make the cleaning staff climb out windows and use the one in the garage?

9 Likes

Because he’s a firm believer in a class system that punishes people for being poor, including allowing people like him to completely dehumanize other human beings. Because he does not see the people who work for him as real people, but as cogs in a machine that are there to service him and his wealth. Because he’s a fucking asshole.

24 Likes

Seems like “dispute” would be a better word than “refute” given these circumstances.

2 Likes

While I have no doubt it would suck to work for the B- man, I’m guessing the Bezos laundry room is bigger than all the apartments I have ever lived in combined.

Not just cruel, but stupid. His safety, privacy and personal comfort are in the hands of his personal staff, so he has much to gain and nothing to lose by ensuring they have enough job satisfaction to show him some degree of loyalty and respect.

Also, whatever happened to giant mansions being built with servants’ corridors and on-site quarters to ensure the nobility could always have staff on hand without actually having to fraternize with them? Nobody ever had to sneak out the window to take a piss in Downton Abbey.

14 Likes

Even those old timey aristocrats who hunted people for sport had servant quarters and hidden passages so they could move unseen throughout the house.No crawling through a window to get somewhere. :confused:

ETA - I swear I started my thought before the above post, and got interrupted and had to return to it later.

5 Likes

who cares? That doesn’t make this less exploitative…

10 Likes

^ This ^

What are they teaching architects these days if they don’t put in proper access for the help?

But if Jeff won’t hire enough staff for proper coverage, he probably wouldn’t think about that kind of thing either.

5 Likes

Because today’s billionaire does not want to live in the same house as the help, because then they can’t cosplay as rugged individualists when architecture digest drops by to do a bit of propag… I mean a “human interest story” :tm: on their mansions…

9 Likes

just more sensationalist

Also, which property are we talking about? He has several, I think.

2 Likes

All in all, this feels like 1950s Jim Crow racism, like Willie Best having to hang outside and out back of the Erwin household while the family relaxes inside on the Stu Erwin Show – AKA The Trouble with Father.

4 Likes

Again, the story here is that Bezos abused and exploited an employee, not the size of his laundry room. As I said, who cares about that, rather than the human being that he exploited. Stop letting the unimportant detail distract you about the real story here, because that’s how people like him get away with dehumanizing others. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

… I am so there for a Marvel movie with Marc Maron as the Hulk :star_struck:

2 Likes

It’s hard to imagine someone with such fantastical wealth wouldn’t have people to think about this kind of thing for him. Architects who understand how to build a big estate that has a full-time staff, a household butler who manages the house and so on. Bezos wouldn’t even need to be personally competent or empathetic if he made the smallest amount of effort to surround himself with others who were.

4 Likes

denis leary GIF by IFC

7 Likes