Former Letterman writer dissects Dave's lame excuses for not hiring more women

Reading the article, the following part of it bothers me a little:

“Next he claims, “I didn’t know why there weren’t women writers” and here’s where it gets weird. Earlier in the interview, Letterman notes that Fey was the first female head writer of Saturday Night Live, but technically the first female head writer in late-night variety was Merrill Markoe who co-created Late Night with her then-boyfriend, Letterman. (Fun fact: the show’s writing staff won Emmy awards every year until Markoe left the show in 1987. After that, Late Night never won another Emmy for writing.) Did Letterman forget about Markoe? This seems to go beyond memory lapse into disinformation.”

Letterman said SNL, the article writer then switches the subject to late-nite variety programming in order to claim he was being disingenuous and disinformative. Is that not a touch hypocritical?

Now, it’s possible I misread that paragraph or that there’s a context I missed in the video of the interview that I am yet to watch, but from just reading the article this bit seemed a bit wrong. I mean, there’s plenty of material to hit Letterman with without doing the same thing back.

Edit: The rest of the article I have no problem with and there are plenty of valid points (such as the mask slipping when there isn’t a camera on him, and of his legacy), it’s just this bit which didn’t read right to me.

3 Likes