Former Mozilla CTO was detained at US border and told he had no right to a lawyer

Indeed. There’s no exit from that after being released.

2 Likes

CBSA can and will do that to people. “Dismantle and leave in pieces” isn’t just restricted to US customs.

Border guards have more powers than police.

4 Likes

I like Canada. I traveled a lot at one point for work and the Canadian border people were always very professional.

I was thinking of going to Montreal to play poker and eat poutine but between the shutdown and general assholery of BCP lately I just visited a friend here in the states. (I am always mindful of keeping this account psudo-anonymous so forgive me if I don’t leak exactly where I flew instead :slight_smile: )

I’m a US citizen, so it’s always a combination of terrifying and amusing when they get shitty coming home. Yeah, you can search my stuff but at the end of the day I am coming in, mwhahaha

1 Like

Rather off-topic, but this reminds me of crossing the Afghanistan/Iran border, travelling west, in the late '70s. I was in a bus. Drove past guy going the same way in a VW Combi that had been taken apart on the Afghani side of the border and who was slowly putting it all back together again. Door panels, seats, entire interior contents, engine cover, you name it.

The guy next to me said “He did well. At least he’s here to put it back together, which means they really tried but didn’t find anything - coulda been a whole lot worse”. We were detained for an hour or so making the crossing. As I looked back when we left, he was still at it.

During the hour waiting we examined the customs trophy case. It was quite amazing what people had tried to hide stuff in. Yeah, customs and border guards can be real jerks and it has ever been thus. But smugglers are jerks too. Sadly today’s ‘contraband’ seems to be data and opinions.

3 Likes

Now with 2-Day Right to a Jury Trial !

1 Like

There is this notion among law enforcement both military and civilian as well as within the signals and intelligence agencies that there are places and situations whereby the limitations our constitution places upon the power of government no longer apply.
We must disabuse them of this notion at every turn. The government cannot decide that the limitations placed upon it are in any way malleable.

2 Likes

Are you sure that you’ll still be alive, though?

1 Like

Well it already did, a long time ago and repeatedly since, and the country has always greeted this travesty by yawning and rolling over.

2 Likes

In Denver’s airport they (used to? haven’t visited in years) actually had these huge signs saying that by entering the security checkpoint you were waiving your 4th amendment rights. Due to the airport’s layout it set a really good scene, too. Of course, I may be misremembering or it may have been a protest or who knows, so people from the area can feel free to correct me :slight_smile: I certainly haven’t see anything like it in my state’s airports.

1 Like

I have been told that exact same lie by TSA agents. They believe it’s true because the people who sign their paycheck told them it was. I’m sure those people were told by people with authority over them all the way up to some lawyer somewhere who was paid to write a legal justification for the idea. Of course, legal opinions only matter when it’s a judge and then, only when it’s consistent with our laws.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.