Found: Lost Johnny Cash concert recorded by LSD chemist Owsley Stanley (1968)

Originally published at: Found: Lost Johnny Cash concert recorded by LSD chemist Owsley Stanley (1968) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Found it streaming

2 Likes

I wish I was there.

2 Likes

Bear was pretty much self-taught I think but became a very capable audio engineer. Many live recordings that have survived from the '60s and '70s have pretty bad sound, but Bear’s tapes tended to be clean and well-mixed. Of course those tapes are now many decades old, and there’s some degradation, which is why the Owsley Stanley Foundation is trying to digitize and preserve as many of them as they can.

2 Likes

You and me both. Though I was 18 months old at the time. :slight_smile:
I don’t know how I’ve not seen this site before, but there are some awesome items available.
Probably have to get the double album, but I wish that came with a digital download as well…

2 Likes

Ok, you had me at Johnny Cash/LSD.

How could it be that not one photo of this event exists?

If you guys like that kind of stuff Wolfgang’s Vault has a lot of classic concert stuff.

There’s a lot collected from sound board techs and their private collections. I used to listen and download stuff there all the time.

It’s 4 bucks a month but if you like live classic rock it’s worth it.

Not sure if I can post a link to a paid service but Google will get you there.

…which is now home to an immersive Van Gogh exhibit).

Which is - to me - ironic in this context. I saw the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit in LA on New Year’s Day and described it to a friend as 35 minutes of Van Gogh for people who have no psychedelic experience whatsoever.

1 Like

Well, if you can remember it, you weren’t really there. So if you can’t remember it, maybe you were there?

1 Like

While the music played you worked by candlelight. :musical_note: Those San Francisco nights, you were the best in town. :musical_note:

1 Like

I guess Kid Charlemagne is about Owsley? I always assumed it was.

To the best of my knowledge it is. Certainly the lyrics lead one to that conclusion.

1 Like

Dave’s not here, man.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.