Four Thieves Vinegar Collective: DIY epipens were just the start, now it's home bioreactors to thwart Big Pharma's price-gouging

Either they save lives, or kill people, or go to prison, or some combination of these, and none of them depends on popularity.

Right. They’re playing for crusty biopunks with magnets in their fingers, not muggles who worry about their insulin costs. I wish them luck, and I hope something cool comes from their work, hopefully nobody dies. Maybe their work will eventually lead to a meaningful advocacy movement, but it’s going to require a change in messaging.

I’m non-profit profitting right now! (well, I will be when I stop reading BB and get back to work…)

2 Likes

This is actually the perfect inverse of what I’m trying to express: Maybe some people can acquire power within the political process and media and markets. Most people can’t. The vast majority of us are “undesirable” or “non-normative” within those spaces. Rather than contorting and limiting ourselves to try to fit within the abstract and oppressive expectations of these arenas, we can be more powerful if we exert power directly and materially together.

Thinking about this materially, the reason may be that your mother knows people who need epipens and understands intuitively what would happen to them if they couldn’t afford one. However she doesn’t know anyone who has contracted HIV through a dirty needle, and so has no personal frame of reference or direct interest in that project, only an abstract moral stance.

What I’m suggesting is that while everyone has the ability to take abstract moral stances, in fact these often matter much less than the convictions of the people who have a practical stake. So more power can be mobilized by worrying about the people who already have a specific reason to care, rather than subordinating an initiative’s priorities to the abstract opinions, votes, and pocketbooks of the imaginary group we call “the mainstream”.

7 Likes

I’d rather gear was cut with anti HIV drugs than anything else, TBH. you’re lucky to get anything as benign as quinine and lactose in No.2 brown these days unless you’ve got a boutique dealer.

1 Like

If you take a look at the statistics relating to death and damage caused by drugs prescribed legally and used according to the doctor’s orders, there’s certainly a case to be made for this kind of harm reduction.

2 Likes

when the supreme court gets packed by an imposter president and they outlaw birth-control, maybe this group can come up with something?

you think this is far fetched? in 26 states there are pharmacists that have refused to fill scripts, six states have now passed laws making it perfectly legal for them to do so - it’s a slow creep but it’s not fantasy to think that someday a case will make it to the supreme court that sets the standard and then there are maybe only a few pharmacies in the country that will fill the scripts

Reports of pharmacies refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control—or provide EC

—have surfaced in at least twenty-six states across the nation, including:
AZ, CA, DC, GA, IL, LA, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, RI, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV, WI

4 Likes

Yep.

Had one here in Arizona the other day.

There was also an incident with a CVS pharmacist who got canned for being homophobic

I could see this being partly acceptable IF (and ONLY IF) precautions were taken to protect the medium from damage in transit; I’ve seen enough issues with the postal service (and other package carriers) that I wouldn’t trust them to not drop-kick the package, run it over, and drop it repeatedly during it’s journey.

(I won’t even start with the shipping company that dropped a $2 million refrigerator-sized core router off the truck and impaled it with the forklift trying to upright it…)

Mind you, the chaos of a mycelia which devours cellulose, loose in the postal system(!), would be fun to watch from a great distance.

4 Likes

I sure hope a home-brew fluticasone proponionate is on their list of future projects. Many asthmatics, COPD, and nasal polyp sufferers could use a less expensive route.

I’d suggest two reasons. The first is simply that it’s easy. It’s an easy metric to track and an easy metric for people to understand. So it’s easy to distill into a populist message. The second is momentum. As we face ever larger gaps between the haves and have-nots, it’s in the best interest of the haves to perpetuate this message as it will result in ever increasing wealth/power for them.

1 Like

the Microlab can produce five drugs, including Naloxone

But naloxone isn’t a brand name, so doesn’t get capitalized.

I like you!

I might have been the only one that looked at that $30 epi pen build, and was like no thank you. I am so into stopping these companies from price gouging, but that wasn’t a realistic solution. When I was a nurse, I am not sure I could have handed that to anyone and hoped it would go well.

1 Like
3 Likes

Livestream from HOPE. Start missing because Internet dropped, but I have it recorded and will post later.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.