Fox and Friends reporter seems sorry he talked to a smart person about the Green New Deal

We’ve had the answer to this one for over a century: externalities. In other words, let those suckers pay for it!

5 Likes

Great link!

3 Likes

You’re right: there is no “away”, but they will get to be “last”, so … win?

It’s kind of a variant of the boiling frog syndrome, really well illustrated by Diamond in his ‘Collapse’ chapter on Easter Island.

6 Likes

Good points. Just one more to add to your list: conservatives tend to be overly wrapped around “what about?” And in this case, the usual retort is, “What about China? Why should we ruin our economy to fix make-believe climate change when China is doing even worse things?” Ironically, these are the same people who think America is and always will be the leader of the free world.

(Hint: “leading” commonly means “being first.”)

4 Likes

Fox viewers: “His WWII comparison is a load of horse poop. Hitler was a real threat. We’d all be speaking German right now if we didn’t fight that war. Global warming is fake news!”

4 Likes

Thanks. Further discussed in this topic:

The article posted by @songkran above is also worth reading. The levels of delusion at work would be funny if it didn’t affect us all.

A lot of them seem to think that your neck of the planet will be the place where they can be “last”. Somehow I think your fellow Kiwis will have different ideas, despite the security thugs with control collars.

9 Likes

OMG, SCARY LIBERAL CRAZY PERSON WANTS TO RAISE YOUR TAXES!!

Shocked-William-Shatner-Star-Trek

19 Likes

You know, The Tick and I have something in common:

We both hope to not destroy the Earth, because that’s where we keep all our stuff.

20 Likes

Many seem to genuinely believe that once the Earth is completely fucked up to the point where it can no longer sustain life, they’ll just be able to easily ‘move on’, to Mars… which will have been terraformed into a ideal utopia, just for them.

O_o

20 Likes

Yeah, not super happy about that, as you might’ve imaged. In particular; the ‘one rule for thee, a different rule for me’ methodology they use to get visas/passports :angry:

10 Likes

25 Likes

the arctic sea-ice-extent has never been lower at this time of year. again.

https://www.meereisportal.de/meereisbeobachtung/aktuelle-beobachtungsergebnisse-aus-satellitenmessungen/karten-meereisausdehnung-arktisantarktis/

12 Likes

Or that Jeebus will then save them from the rising waters (and brown people).

8 Likes

Many seem to genuinely believe that once the Earth is completely fucked up to the point where it can no longer sustain life, they’ll just be able to easily ‘move on’, to Mars…

Someone once pointed out the irony of this: if we can’t fix earth’s climate, then we definitely can’t fix mars. I’m all for terraforming mars… after we tackle the orders-of-magnitude-easier problem of terraforming earth. Or, to put it in terms a fox news host can understand: how are you going to pay for terraforming mars? It’s not a fiscally responsible option.

There’s no escape plan. Earth is all we get. You can fix earth, or die on earth… or spend a bunch of money to go die on mars. There’s no practical scenario in which humanity abandons earth, and then somehow creates a sustainable colony elsewhere. Every other celestial body is far worse than the worst we can do to earth.

25 Likes

I am totally in favor of this solution. Just read “The Marching Morons” for an action plan!

Of course, one needs to understand who the “morons” are in this case. And as for the offensive term, the novella was published in the 50s. Different days.

11 Likes
10 Likes

Is that what Idiocracy was based upon, only with a very different ending?

13 Likes

That’s the lie that deniers and billionaires peddle: that saving our own lives is just too costly to consider.

Which, when a certain section of the populace hears that enough, they don’t even stop to think about how that entire statement is framed around obtaining and keeping wealth. How that’s positioned as the default stance: capitalistic success above all else.

8 Likes

oh, there is so much more wrong. beautyful shot, but also stupid beyond beliving. (I once wrote a pretty long rant somewhere, right after seeing it. this one made me really mad. mostly hated it)

4 Likes

i heard a reporter on the radio today say our “current climate crisis” - current!? that’s some unrealistic optimism for you.

i guess the size and inevitably of what we know *already" is going to happen ( even if we stop emissions today ) is just too big to process.

points for alliteration though.

5 Likes