Fox hit with $179m (including $128m in punitive damages) judgment over shady bookkeeping on "Bones"

At some level, this is what happens when fraud becomes so normalized that the participants forget that they are committing a crime.

10 Likes

I want to know who the “Profit Participants” are. If it’s people involved in the show itself (stars, producers,etc) then good for them.

On the other hand if it’s just some faceless investors, meh. I’m not that interested.

The difference to me is one is about creators and the other is just shady financial dealing.

Well, you know, you could follow the link that Cory helpfully provided. :slight_smile:

They are:

WARK ENTERTAINMENT, INC. f/s/o BARRY JOSEPHSON
TEMPERANCE BRENNAN, L.P. f/s/o KATHLEEN REICHS
SNOOKER DOODLE PRODUCTIONS, INC. f/s/o EMILY DESCHANEL
and BERTHA BLUE, INC. f/s/o DAVID BOREANAZ

being respectively the executive producer, the original author, the main character actress and the main co-star.

2 Likes

Yup. Because the same old crowd of shifty individuals keep playing the same old tricks, and preventing the fix.

1 Like

Boys will be boys :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

If the final judgement is for the plaintiffs in the case it would seem to be a major blow to Hollywood accounting. There is an ocean of shady accounting that would suddenly be in jeopardy. I wouldn’t be surprised to see congress step in and try to cut off any further lawsuits at the knees.

1 Like

The accounting bit is safe. The issue here was that Fox promised in their contract not to screw the performers over in this way.

Without that provision in the contract, everything would have been fine.

2 Likes

Oops, thanks, I assumed it was written in legaleze making it TLDR.

Yeah, yeah, assumptions and all. Apparently I also just like to hear myself type.

2 Likes

I think the real crime is that Bones ran for 12 years…

Indeed, it’s because of shenanigans like this that talent with any pull whatsoever will make sure that the “don’t screw the performers” clause is there. And the studios will ignore it, accepting the occasional settlement as the cost of doing business.

3 Likes

Circle the wagons.

Ppl stink.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.