FPV drone racing feels like flying the forests of Endor

Well, FWIW, I never did feel that any grandiosity was intended. Building from a kit is exactly the way Iā€™d do it, tooā€¦ especially if I ever wanted to finish it! I once converted a 1987 Jaguar XJ6 to be powered by a Chevy 350 engine and 4L60E transmission, which was loads of fun and totally doable by me precisely because I had a kit! I had to supply the Jag, and source the Chevy engine and transmission, but the kit-maker (Johnā€™s Cars out in Texas) supplied me with a kit containing custom wiring harnesses, engine and transmission mounts, linkages, and Chevy ramā€™s horn exhaust manifolds, so I didnā€™t have to fabricate a single thing. (Well, except the exhaust system between manifold and tailpipe, but I had an exhaust shop down the block do that for $150.) I remember I had to drill one single small hole; the rest was completely bolt-in.

I have been very satisfied by the few things I have scratch-built (a bookcase, my Little Free Library), but my time and skillset are both limited, so itā€™s generally kits for me if I want to build anything.

There is something both liberating and exhilarating in having enough of a hand in the assembly of oneā€™s things that youā€™re much less afraid of breakage and wear & tear.

2 Likes

i didnā€™t see oneā€¦ but for those what donā€™t know. Run Boy Run by Woodkid

3 Likes

A good argument for ownership of a laser cutter, 3d printer, and/or CNC router. The hassle of making the parts is then reduced to getting the draft of the part, tuning up the production process once and then watching the machine making them on demand, and the cost is reduced to that of raw materials.

1 Like

Youā€™re way ahead of me. I was just thinking of quad-copters programmed to emulate classic warbirds. If you want to mount a jet engine on a drone, Iā€™ll be thrilled to watch it fly on its own, but if you want to pit a Me 163 Komet against my propeller aircraft, I hope youā€™ve got better control electronics than I do!

1 Like

I starting messing around with RC helicopters several years ago, and one thing I immediately loved about them was that every little piece was available to purchase for spares and repair. They really are designed to be maintainable machines rather than sealed-to-the-user toys.

who would have thought that flying through the forest would be like flying through the forest?? :smile:

That being said, this is pretty darn cool.

In this drone racing video thereā€™s a couple guys with some kind of VR glasses actually.

Youā€¦ Butā€¦ Youā€™reā€¦ youā€™re aā€¦ a lumper? :scream:

Say what you will, that Jag still runs.

2 Likes

Would a GMC Twin Six fit, do you think? :trollface:

Hehā€¦ not without a whole lotta persuadinā€™.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.