France and Germany just cut a deal to save the EU's #CopyrightDirective -- and made it much, much worse (PLEASE SHARE THIS POST!)

Unglaublich. You think German leaders would have evolved away from their fascist tendencies as a result of the backlash of their Nazi past. To promote a worldwide, central, digital works library as a copyright filter is appalling. And it is not going to be a bottomless trove of media that is free to the public. Why, I cannot find my all-time favorite movies currently available on Netflix. How many independent watchdog organizations will we need to audit the copyright index to ensure it is up to date and credited appropriately? Let me guess, not only will we need to pay to view all copyright works, but we also be required to pay a tax to fund the copyright librarians, and then make mandatory donations to or otherwise fund our fair use advocates. Filter bots will be developed to hear and rule on our appeals. I want to think there is a bright spot, with fewer big money memes, and more original works, yet, and unfortunately, the opposite is just as likely to occur.

I did not mean to say that the yellow vests worried about the national front, sorry. I see how what I wrote can be read that way, but I meant to say that the general french population was starting to wonder whether the national front would have dared to pass the liberticide laws that the present government issued.

I still think that the national front would have been worse, and I am not alone. But I really wonder what we have elected…

“Liberticide”… Are you referring to the carbon tax, or to something else? Because if the former, I don’t get it - I suppose that paying for anything is an infringement of liberty, if perfect liberty is having everything you want for free. But if it’s something else, I’d like to know what.
And my (thankfully small) experience of right-wingers is that they divvy out infringements of liberty to those who (a) have low social standing whom nobody will bother protecting, and (b) are not their constituents. Their constituents tend to enjoy lots of liberty.
Selective liberticide, if you will.
Thanks for the new word, by the way.

Liberticide is a word in French. I did not know it was not in English.

I am not referring to the carbon tax but to the recent law which prohibits demonstrations and can put anyone in jail if the police has suspicions that this person may commit some crime, without involvement of the judiciary. The law restricts civil liberties, hence my post.

So, has there been any independent confirmation of this?

I totally get what it means. No, we don’t have it in English, but we should! Here in the US, when we want to quell a protest without seeming to infringe on “liberty”, we do a couple of things. One, have a special place for protests - you can even surround it with a chainlink fence! This makes the protest tame, and it no longer has the drama and social excitement that it had before. You’ll lose many, many demonstrators that way, who are participating for the excitement.
Another thing, is have several other kinds of demonstrations or protests around it to diffuse the attention.
Either way, you end up with a much more controlled demonstration, and participants get bored and go on with other things. That leaves a small rump of more engaged, possibly more violent demonstrators. If the number is small enough, the police can crack down on them for the violence!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.